snooker cues, stable wood?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Afternoon folks,..

a guy in my office just went out at lunch to have his snooker cue repaired,

got me thinking,

i assume the wood (Ash and Beech normally i think) is pretty stable and wouldnt need much work for a knife handle.

just wondered if anyone else has thought about it ?

he's bringing some off cuts back with him,,,!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That is spooky to the extreme. On my lunch break just now I've been pondering how to utilise the half a pool cue I have.

Yeah, I think most cues are made from Ash.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
woooooooooooo (sorry best spooky noise i can manage)

i think a pool cue is probably better, thicker normally,

i just thought, as you probably have, its a shame not to use a nice peice of wood thats recieved so much treatment,

its very hard too, might have a bit of a wittle later and see what occurs

Cheers

Stu

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
never thought of that before! I've got about 4 snooker cues in the closet... :)

you need to talk to those cues, and let them know that in todays modern thinking society people aren't as narrow minded as they used to be,..

sorry couldnt resist,...hahahaha

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
as much as all this snooker cue desecration is paining me (you should all be taken out and shot for even considering cutting up cues), buchwacker's right. most cues are made of ash, the one's that aren't are usually made of beech.

the wood's going to be just about as stable as you can get naturally,it will have been seasoned for a few years before it was ever made into a cue and then it will have spent its entire life somewhere warm and dry just getting harder and harder. if it was going to split or twist at any point it would've been thrown away as no good.

old cues are a great source of wood, snooker however is more important than life itself. love your cue, don't abuse it

stuart

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
however is more important than life itself. love your cue, don't abuse it

stuart

what about cue euthenasia?..

if you fave cue suddenly took a turn for the worst would you rather see it cast aside,

or turned into a handle for a cherished blade that will be at your side for ever?

lol

Stu

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
what about cue euthenasia?..

if you fave cue suddenly took a turn for the worst would you rather see it cast aside,

or turned into a handle for a cherished blade that will be at your side for ever?

lol

Stu

how moving, that brought a tear to my eye (something like that anyway)

as it happens my favourite cue is uptairs in it's case in more pieces than it should be. one day i'll get round to mending it, i've just not quite had time to come to terms with the initial loss yet, it was only broken 3 years ago after all.

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE