Skinny skin.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
A week ago I was camped on the English/Welsh border. The trip was both one of my regular Scooter camps, and also to seal a bet with my kids who 5 years ago asked, 'would I still be camping at 80'. As it was close to my birthday, the sun was shining and the roads from my home in the far South West of Wales a 135+ miles from the campsite are great biking roads, there was no excuse to stay at home.
I've checked all the windows in the cottage are closed to keep the Squirrels out, all fuelled up, and ready to go.

Nearing my destination within sight of the Brecon Beacons.

Not wild camping, but basic water tap, toilet and just me, the tent and Scoot. :happy:

The campsite was actually in the extensive grounds of a large Manor House.

By pure coincidence I had been reading about Motorcycle clothing a few days before the trip and the phrase "Skin shear" was used to describe injuries which occur when a Rider falls from the bike and skids down the road. Gravel Rash is normally where unprotected skin contacts the road surface, but skin shear occurs under clothing, being basically friction....and this is where the strange post heading comes in...skin shear is more common in older people..tell me about it!!!

Second day at camp and I stumbled on hard sun baked ground and landed on my right elbow. Not far from camp and although the amount of blood and...er..displaced..skin was fairly dramatic the First aid Kit on scoot came to the rescue.
Not a prize winning dressing effort but it was a left handed and teeth holding bandage job..

Two days later safely home after a great ride home, I did a dressing change which I repeated a couple of times in the next few days. Not a really Bush Craft post this, but one thing that I found interesting was, immediately after the injury I saw that of the skin which had been sheared off my elbow and literally hung in a couple of Flaps? curtains? :laugh: only one piece was not in tatters, so I pasted it back over the wound, after a thorough washing under a running tap (Hurts! ) The other bit I just cut it away and applied the dressing.

Gory pictures....

Just over a week later and the injury is healing. I find it interesting that the replaced skin has retaken, if that's a proper description, while the other area is still open but dry and healing.

So, age = skinny skin and susceptibility to removing skin in what may be even a minor tumble and if you hear the term skin shear, be assured it hurts...:laugh:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thanks for the warning, advice and approach to the first aid.

Sorry your trip was interrupted.

Where were you? I love the Brecons.
Do they open over winter?
Winter sites are getting hard to find.

Reactions: Toddy

slimshady

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Oxfordshire
I think its Baskerville hall, Clyro, Hay-on-Wye. We had afternoon tea over a decade ago. My mum & dad lived in nearby Glasbury-on-Wye. Didn't know about camping.

Alex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE