'Sirram, The Wasp'! anyone heard of these meths kettles??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

Went to the local bootsale this morning, it was hectic!!

I bought this little (13/4 pint) kettle and meths burner and wondered if anyone on here had heard of them before??
SK6_zps7ad898af.jpg

SK1_zps125f6d98.jpg

SK4_zps9c96ec74.jpg

It seems to be made of tinned steel (much like a baked bean can :eek: )

I can't seem to find out anything about these, has anyone come across them before??

Also bought a couple of Tilley lamps in need of new glasses and mantels!!
Tilleys_zps6855e420.jpg

Also bought a cut throat razor, a Victorinox sak that's marked 'Hawker Siddely'

I managed to get more stuff but the wife filled the car:(

I did buy a three pounder shell for next to nothing ('bout three quid!) which need a good polishing...

Cheers, John :)

BTW, the burner stinks like someone has burnt white spirit in it :aargh4:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've seen that kettle set up before. It was used as a car trip/ picnic kettle. An aunt and uncle had a set, so we're talking late 60's, I reckon. I don't think it was new then, just that's when I mind it from. I 'think' it was probably just post war in date. Could be filled up before you left home, iirc.
I thought they were tin plated ? Pretty sure it had a brass burner though, and it all packed away in a wooden box. They used to brew up sitting the whole thing inside a galvie pail to act as a windbreak :D Tea and sugar were kept in a wee double ended tin. That was oval shaped.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kettle maybe, but the handle looks tinplated and so does the screw lid. I think the original windbreak base thing was too.Might be wrong though, it was a long time ago.

Nice find :D especially in good condition like that :cool:

cheers,
M

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I'd like to see a photo of the Hawker Siddley knife if you have the time.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Hi Ogri

here's the pocket knife, I think it's a promotional piece, seems like it's never been out of the cheap plastic sheath!

HS2_zpsf26c363e.jpg

For some queer reason Photobucket saw fit to rotate this pic through 90˚ :confused:

HS1_zpsc28da902.jpg

HS3_zpsa8f8c6ac.jpg

Been to a bootsale this morning and bought an Oriental plaque that was black, I thought it was silver but the weight and strange colour it's turned out after polishing seems to suggest it being pewter...

Orientalpewterplaque_zpsb2164161.jpg

Orientalpewterplaque3_zps73b0b7ba.jpg

I'm not sure whether the marks are Chinese or Japanese but I love stuff like this and it was only £3.00!!

Also bought a vintage pair of Oak Leaf real hide gauntlets, i'm giving them to my brother in law as he's restoring a 1950's Triumph (no idea what model though!)..
Oakleafrealhidegauntlets_zps4f40302d.jpg

Oakleafrealhidegauntlets2_zps520deccf.jpg

They were only a quid but they were scruffy!!

John :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Classic little brew set, you'd put in the back of your shooting brake together with sandwiches and lashings of tomato's. Its a user, try it out, they work well. Do a Google search for sirram picnic and you'll see images of some of the lovely stuff they used to make.

Made by Marris (Sirram is back spelt) Ltd they were around for a long time and bit history and patents here http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showforum.php?fid/71/

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have a couple of those in the loft, used to keep one in the jeep brew up kit when I was travelling around a lot.
Have not got the original boxes though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE