Silver Birch Tree

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just wondering does a Silver Birch tree have the same properties as a Downy Birch tree i.e can I tap it and does the bark produce good tinder?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Bam, did you say that the right way round? The Downy Birch gives better bark for firelighting?

I'll have to try that next time I see one, I've not really gone for them before, have just headed straight for the (easily spottable) silvers...

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
dommyracer said:
Bam, did you say that the right way round? The Downy Birch gives better bark for firelighting?

I'll have to try that next time I see one, I've not really gone for them before, have just headed straight for the (easily spottable) silvers...

Yes mate, that's certainly been my experience.....however saying that there really isn't much in it and I wouldn't walk more than an extra few paces past a silver to get to a downy if that makes sence. :)
Now if you can find a paper birch (mostly in gardens but a few wild hybrids) then you're laughing as they really are the bestest ever! lol :lmao:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Interesting - there's quite a bit of paper birch around where I work, and while it sheds really impressive quantities of paper-thin bark, I find it catches a spark slightly less easily than silver birch bark. However, that's probably offset by greater ease of gathering and preparation...

Copper birch, on the other hand, is absolutely pants.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
gregorach said:
Interesting - there's quite a bit of paper birch around where I work, and while it sheds really impressive quantities of paper-thin bark, I find it catches a spark slightly less easily than silver birch bark. However, that's probably offset by greater ease of gathering and preparation...

Copper birch, on the other hand, is absolutely pants.

Lol...it is very easy to collect isn't it! Massive sheets of the stuff! I find it easier to shread too.

The other birch that is pants is the Cherry Birch, I couldn't get that to go even with a match! lol :lmao:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Nice one Bam, every day's a schoolday.

There's a fair few paper birches on the streets of London, have often thought about grabbing a handful as I walk past.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Slightly different angle, took mans best friend for his daily hobble across the common at lunchtime, local council have been ‘tidying up’ the birch trees. Where two or three trees come from the same stump they have cut these back to one the consequence being that there are pools of sap, it is running from the stumps almost continuously.

By doing this at this time of year I guess the tress will just bleed to death and we will have no silver birch on the common.

Makes me mad!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE