Silk sleeping bag liner

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Yes, adds a bit of warmth, as they're good at trapping air. Not sure about adding a season, but they definitely help.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I use one, keeps the inside of the bag clean, but yes it is a bit difficult to get into.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use one, it adds about 5degC to the bag's warmth.

I slip stitched it into the bag too :D Makes it just as easy to get in and out and the slip stitches come undone easily enough to take it out for washing :cool:

cheers,
M

p.s. make sure you put a few stitches in at the foot end too, otherwise it's a conundrum wrapped in a snake's skin :rolleyes:

udamiano

On a new journey
I use one, it adds about 5degC to the bag's warmth.

I slip stitched it into the bag too :D Makes it just as easy to get in and out and the slip stitches come undone easily enough to take it out for washing :cool:

cheers,
M

p.s. make sure you put a few stitches in at the foot end too, otherwise it's a conundrum wrapped in a snake's skin :rolleyes:

Thats a really good idea Toddy, I wonder if the same could be achieve with a bit of velco. Excellent! thanks! I will have a go with a cheap bag first
:thankyou:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
HIgher management made me one out of an old silk bedsheet that had seen better days - its about 3 feet wide and of sleeping bag length - I like it but can't comment on extra seasons but is nice to the touch and warm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thats a really good idea Toddy, I wonder if the same could be achieve with a bit of velco. Excellent! thanks! I will have a go with a cheap bag first
:thankyou:

I slip stitch it onto / into the seams of my bag, and I did the same at the hood so that the draw cord thingie still works.

I did have to split the side seam of the silk liner and hem that, but just as long as the zip in my sleeping bag, to let the zip work to make it easy in and out.

A long thread, a big knot on the end and do round the hood with one thread and knot to fasten off. Do the same both sides of the zip, again at the foot and a wee short one at the opposite side seam from the zip. They just pull out neat as sixpence and it only takes ten minutes or so to stitch them back again when I wash the liner.

Velcro might be easier, but I hate sewing that stuff on :eek:

cheers,
M

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
My silk liner is arriving next week along with a decent base layer. I'll be camping in the peak district come next Thursday in my bivi and 2-3 season bag. The forecast puts the temperature at -3 during the nights. I'll use only the liner one night and only the base layer the next and let you know what (in my opinion) works best.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Silk liners are good, warm to get into straight away, feels good, keeps sleeping bag clean, very light, no bulk.

Although It can be a little tricky to get in, not too sure about extra warmth, but theres gotta be some because you've got another layer.

I have a silk liner then a fleece liner [made from and old blanket] inside my bag, the combination of both certianly makes the sleeping bag warmer, If its a warm night can get away with just the slik and fleece liners not need for the bag.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I always use one but mainly for keeping my bag clean rather than warmth. In Cuba, I slept in the liner only and it was still too hot!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE