sign question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Out in the woods again when I came across a large heap of wood pigeon feathers on top of a mound of earth created by the roots of an upturned tree. The feathers were fresh. I couldn't find the carcass nearby or see any evidence of tracks or sign of possible predetors. Later I found exactly the same scene about 300 yards further on in the wood. I 'm guessing it was a bird of prey, possibly a Sparrow Hawk. However, the wood is thick with Beech and Oak with few open spaces which I think Sparrow Hawks prefer. Anyone got any better ideas?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I'm definitely no expert on these things, but if the feathers were plucked, there was no carcass or 'messy bits', then I'd agree it definitely sounds like a bird of prey. I couldn't venture a guess at what type though.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Was there any sign of the heads knocking about? I'm no expert either, but I seem to recall sparrowhawks most often decapitate their prey first, before proceeding with plucking etc. Certainly sounds like a bird of prey to me in any case.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
It's sometimes possible to narrow it down to an avian or mammalian predator by looking at the method of feather removal - if plucked (often with a split shaft) then a bird of prey; if chewed off then a mammal.

However do bear in mind that carcasses are scavenged too so if you come across older remains then more than one type of sign may be seen.

Bob :)

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
The feathers were plucked, no blood or body parts around that I could see. I am still going with my best guess, a Sparrow Hawk.
Thanks for your input.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE