Side pocket advice/help needed

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am looking for a pair of side pockets that will fit my Berghaus Munro, enabling me to make those 2 -3 day excursions just that bit more comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions about which side pockets will fit best and, just as important, where I can get hold of a pair?

Many thanks, in advance, for any help or advice!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
They do appear on ebay from time to time.

ATM a seller has one blue, one teal and two red ones on ebay .

Just type in:

berghaus rucksack side pocket.

HTH

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Endicotts had some but in red and was a while ago. There was a tread on here Not long back and the guy found some other brand ones that fitted but the brand eludes me. Im looking to swap to the centurio 30 Just for this reason.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

Genius. I like the idea of using the fastex buckles across the top to take some of the load off the compression straps. Do the zips come off the pockets relatively easily? The Karrimor ones I'm considering seem pretty chunky and have some sort of protective flaps too... All easily dealt with using a pair of scissors? I hope so...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I find PLCE pockets far too big for a munro. If you fill em you'll probably find the straps woefully inadequate for any distance work

failing the proper side pouches i'd look for a molle pouch of about 5ltrs to mod

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not quite what your asking for but I know it'll work because I've used this system with a Munro.

Find two of the smaller (5 litre?) Ortlieb stuff sacks in the colour of your choice. Fill with gear and then clip the fastex buckles closed but have the ends looped through each other. drape them over the pack but under the lid and secure in position at the sides of the pack with the Munro side straps.

Close Munro lid and your ready for the off.

The side straps are used to prevent wobbling, all the weight is across the top of the pack under the lid so it ends up being quite stable.

:)

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
There's some in Endicotts too. I have a few black ones somewhere from Field and Trek when they made their ownreliable and good kit but they didn't have the rigid back.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for all the advice. Point taken about the Karrimor PLCE side pockets: at 10 litres each, they will dwarf the Munro - something I should have thought about after looking at Ian's thread. I like the sound of the 5 litre option though, either with dry bags or an appropriately sized PLCE pocket. The ebay variations are, dare I say it, just a bit bright for my good ol' bogey green Munro; I know I shouldn't be but I might just be a tad embarrassed about the combination!

Thank you all very much for your ideas. If there are any more that aren't too expensive and wayward, please keep them coming!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The ebay variations are, dare I say it, just a bit bright for my good ol' bogey green Munro; I know I shouldn't be but I might just be a tad embarrassed about the combination!

They blend in fine, never know it's there. :)

My%20Set%20Up%205_zpscupiuyw6.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Red side pocket? What red side pocket?

I have opted for a pair of olive green, 8 litre dry bags. They're pretty inexpensive, waterproof and, while not expressly designed for this purpose, could be tweaked a little to make sure they feel part of the main pack... to some degree!

Many thanks for the ideas and recommendations. I'll let you know how I get on with them and the modifications once they arrive and have been pressed into service. It may prove utterly disastrous and prompt me to buy a bigger rucksack but I've got to try this option first!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE