Shooting magazines for sale to over 18's only !

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Words fail me, but i suppose we shouldn't be surprised by this sort of thing any more.
The thing that really pi**es me of about articles like this, is that the people who write them usually know Jack about legitimate shooting sports and conservation, and are quite happy to go off to their local supermarket every week to buy their shrink wrapped and bar-coded Sunday roast, not giving a toss what the animal may have been through and suffered before it landed on their dining room table next to the apple or mint sauce.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
As usual the people in suits in their offices are making decisions for everyone else without a single clue about the subject. This is just ridiculous.
Cheers for the link!

paddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are extremists in all walks of life that seek to impose their views on others. These people are clearly a "fringe" movement - and an extremist one at that. Its a shame that such ignorance exists - but its surprising how often people with minimal knowledge of a subject talk with assumed authority. These people managed to persuade WHSmith to their views - until BASC got involved.

My advice is to join a shooting rights or countryside rights organisation - we do need organised bodies to counter these extremist bodies.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There are extremists in all walks of life that seek to impose their views on others. These people are clearly a "fringe" movement - and an extremist one at that. Its a shame that such ignorance exists - but its surprising how often people with minimal knowledge of a subject talk with assumed authority. These people managed to persuade WHSmith to their views - until BASC got involved.

My advice is to join a shooting rights or countryside rights organisation - we do need organised bodies to counter these extremist bodies.

A fringe group for the moment perhaps. But this quote from the article is the scaty bit:

"Campaigners carried out their own survey where 84% of those involved were in favour of banning the magazines outright – with 74% moving them to the top shelf."

Granted their survey was probably biased but it still indicatess that their views are becoming more widespread as the population (yours or ours) becomes increasingly urbanized.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - it scares me too - hence why I think all of us with an interest in country pursuits (including bushcraft) should be members of BASC and CA.

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Indeed - it scares me too - hence why I think all of us with an interest in country pursuits (including bushcraft) should be members of BASC and CA.

now the following is likely to cause a ****storm but the BASC, CA and other organisations of their ilk are based upon principles of rural pursuits and industry. NOT ecology or conservation. i know not of either named body conducting remedial work to counter invasive flora or counter pernicious fauna.
their focus is narrow and precise.........a fringe group if you will AND this is coming from one who has shot and fished and currently has a grey in his freezer.
all i'm saying is perhap a bit of perspective and less of a defensive approach might be useful.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I agree they are narrow focus - although I have known them get involved in fauna issues - including consulting on the "General Licence" each year over problem species. That said, the idea that magazines should not be sold to children because they depict shooting seem foolish and hysterical to me - and BASC did pick up on and lobby on the issue which I see as a plus for them. Young people are legally allowed to shoot - why should they be banned from reading about it? They can buy "Top Gear" - buy cannot drive on the roads.

I am a great believer in freedom of choice - if people do not wish to shoot or fish or eat meat - all power to them - I support that right unreservedly. I would like simply that those of use who do indulge in such pursuits be alled to do so without impediment or having to be "furtive" about it.

We already have some of the toughest gun laws in the world - and knife laws - and animal cruelty protection. Its already enough, we don't need more.

I do fear for bushcraft though - we can see from the number of "knife law" threads how worried people are.

I think we should all be calm, polite, considered - but firm in our defense of the right to enjoy the countryside in our own way. I hope we can all agree on that.

Anyway - I've had my say - lets not get into a political debate on it :)

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
I agree they are narrow focus - although I have known them get involved in fauna issues - including consulting on the "General Licence" each year over problem species. That said, the idea that magazines should not be sold to children because they depict shooting seem foolish and hysterical to me - and BASC did pick up on and lobby on the issue which I see as a plus for them. Young people are legally allowed to shoot - why should they be banned from reading about it? They can buy "Top Gear" - buy cannot drive on the roads.

I am a great believer in freedom of choice - if people do not wish to shoot or fish or eat meat - all power to them - I support that right unreservedly. I would like simply that those of use who do indulge in such pursuits be alled to do so without impediment or having to be "furtive" about it.

We already have some of the toughest gun laws in the world - and knife laws - and animal cruelty protection. Its already enough, we don't need more.

I do fear for bushcraft though - we can see from the number of "knife law" threads how worried people are.

I think we should all be calm, polite, considered - but firm in our defense of the right to enjoy the countryside in our own way. I hope we can all agree on that.

Anyway - I've had my say - lets not get into a political debate on it :)

:) happy days.
bloomin greys have gone into torpor and the one in my freezer isn't going to make a stew on it's own. anyone got a REALLY long stick or a hellfire missile to blat a dray or two? :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Switch to pigeons! I was over the fields in the fog today and a group of them overflew me ....weird moment as they couldn't see me in the fog and a flock of a couple of hundred came over maybe twelve foot up - you could hear the wing beats before you could see them. Slightly surreal moment. Then the curlews started with that odd cry.

I was half expecting to pop into the "slaughtered lamb" for a pint "stay off the moorrr boys - stick to the path" :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE