Shock find today in the park

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Took a few hours to have a strol round the parkland near me today, and when rumaging round in the thicker parts of the wooded areas, I was very suprised to find two types of fungi. Considering I'm way up northwards and its only just febuary, combined with last night we had some serious freezing fog all over.

I first spotted two clumps of common puffballs, granted by the wrinkles and colour they were fairly old, but still in a very good state for the conditions. Also they were still loaded full of spores, must have been around 6-7 fruits in all.

Next I found a single russula emetica, admitidly this hadnt faired that well, or another way. It was frozen solid. :cool: But a little while later I kept seeing them all over the place, in bunches of 4-5 at a time.

Anyone else think it's odd for these to be out like this at this time of year? I'm sure if the weather hadn't been so harsh last night then the sickners would have been in good condition this morning, they simply looked and felt like someone had put them in the freezer overnight.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
The weather has been very mild for the time of year i also have found common puff balls and even a bay bolete in the middle of december never before have i seen this and i have been collecting for a long time now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE