Sharpening an Opinel Advice Please

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
What is the best way? I've sharpened it on my waterstones as best I can and it is razor sharp. The issue is that I'm giving it a secondary bevel that it certainly didn't come with. How do I avoid this?

I'm not overly concerned as the knife only cost me a fiver from Trago (and the bloke gave me an 8 instead of the 7 I asked for - didn't notice until I got home) but would be nice to make sure I get it right.

Thanks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't think a secondary bevel is such a bad thing on an Opi knife. If you wanted to sharpen it so that it looked the same as it did when you got it, you should lay the blade flat on the stone. It is flat ground, meaning it is basically V shaped from the spine. The problem there is that although you have a very fine edge which is razor sharp, it is also weaker and can roll over and you lose the edge. A secondary bevel gives you just as sharp an edge, but it is stronger.

An even better option would be to sharpen it on a hoodoo hone and slightly convex the edge. Very strong, great for slicing and you can strop it to sharpness most of the time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I Bought an Opi in Spain a while back and it came with a little leather belt pouch and a small steel.

Not had any success sharpening with the steel, is this just a gimmick that Opinel have put together to "add value" to the knife sale or is there a way of sharpening with the steel that suits the flat grind?

Scoops

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have a small opinell, which I have given a second bevel. It is a slim blade and I need an edge for practical useage. I was using it today to slice up geotex membrane for the area outside that is getting gravelled where there used to be slab's. After a while the edge was getting a bit below par, the roll had been outside for a while and it was gritty etc. I used a fine file (a swiss 3 square jewellers file) to do the bevel by filing both sides holding the knife at an angle so it catches the light so it is easy to see the plane of the bevel so its easier to keep it consistent; then a few whizzes up and down my (flecktarn today) trouser leg tp strop, and in less than a minute I have a excellent working edge again, easily as sharp or sharper than a fresh stanley knife blade, no fuss or anything. Maybe wouldnt win a sharpening contest but I want a working edge thats all ;) :D

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I don't think a secondary bevel is such a bad thing on an Opi knife. If you wanted to sharpen it so that it looked the same as it did when you got it, you should lay the blade flat on the stone. An even better option would be to sharpen it on a hoodoo hone and slightly convex the edge. Very strong, great for slicing and you can strop it to sharpness most of the time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks. Seems to reinforce what I was doing / finding. It is really sharp now and I'm pretty happy with it. Looked up hoodoo hone and found this:

http://bill-hay.com/Convex/Convex.htm

interesting... going to make a set and convex it like you say I think.

Thanks for that.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you do go for convexing, you need to put the whole blade down flat, and then lift the spine very little. I'm talking maybe a millimetre or two! As time goes by, the convex edge will become more apparent, but for starters, it won't take much!

What you need to do next is file the clip point off turning it into a drop point or a wharnie, patina the blade, reshape the handle and scorch the wood, sand it and oil it, or if you feel really cocky, carve it into something spectacular!:D Opis are great!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
mmmmm... food for thought. SWMBOs dad used to be a metal worker. There are files and metal working devices of all kinds in the garage that I'm going to have to play with. Wonder what I'll come up with this weekend...

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've had some bad experiences with Opi's which have really put me off them. Personally, for a small knife I put my faith in a Victorinox. But since you asked, just as Spamel has posted, a Hoodoo hone does wonders for convexing them.

Adam

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I've had some bad experiences with Opi's which have really put me off them. Personally, for a small knife I put my faith in a Victorinox. But since you asked, just as Spamel has posted, a Hoodoo hone does wonders for convexing them.

Adam

I usually have a larger locking SAK in my pocket whenever I'm out and about. Saw this and thought "for a fiver I'll have a go". The opi seems to get a much sharper edge than my SAK does but won't replace it - was just for fun really. I'm playing at reshaping it, reprofiling it, and doing the black thing - it may end up being the start of some more knife customising if I enjoy it.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Speaking of customizing, you might want to try re-shaping the handle on a belt grinder so it fits the contours of your hand a bit better. Also, I'd recommend giving the handle an extra coat or two of varnish to give it a bit more water resistance.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE