Sewing your own kit

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
It seems that, due to staff shortages, from September I have to teach Textiles as well as Design and Technology. Given that my glass is always half full, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have to quickly learn to use a sewing machine.

So:

Does anyone have any sources/links/suggestions/patterns for decent quality information on making your own outdoor kit. I already have a copy of John Fenna's book (Great stuff!:) ) and am looking for advice in particular on making a bivi bag, a rucksack and a tarp and on sewing and seam sealing silicone nylon.

I have already bought some windproof fleece and I'm going to have a go at a jacket - watch this space...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm just looking into making my own Lavvu hopefully, if I can find some decent plans that is.

I've managed to aquire a 1950's sewing machine which looks pretty bombproof so hopefully it'll be up to the task. I just need to learn how to use it now without stitching my fingers to the table.

Gailainne

Life Member
It seems that, due to staff shortages, from September I have to teach Textiles as well as Design and Technology. Given that my glass is always half full, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have to quickly learn to use a sewing machine.

So:

Does anyone have any sources/links/suggestions/patterns for decent quality information on making your own outdoor kit. I already have a copy of John Fenna's book (Great stuff!:) ) and am looking for advice in particular on making a bivi bag, a rucksack and a tarp and on sewing and seam sealing silicone nylon.

I have already bought some windproof fleece and I'm going to have a go at a jacket - watch this space...

Big subject, however here are some of the links I've found (bought an Aldi sewing machine a while back)

Catenary tarp

Sewing outdoor gear

Hammockforums Check here as well

For fabric as well as Point North and Pennine there is Fabricsnstuff

Pity I had a link to some very good info on basic seams, but its gone :( , but if you do a search inside hammockforums theres a couple of guys who have done videos on sewing different seams.

Hope this is of use

Cheers

Stephen

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
How about the clothing side.....
Tere has been some talk recently about smocks, which has inspired me to try a ventile homemade - longwinded process since much is by hand, but I hope it proves to be worth while.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE