Seasoned Hardwood

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I just remembered today that I have a 10kg box of seasoned hardwood offcuts I bought a couple of years back before I found whittling and carving green wood a hell of a lot easier. What can I do with it? I know one bit is going to be used to make a handle for my new Dave budd crook knife that arrived yesterday :p

If the only option is to use it on a lathe or burn it, I may see if anyone wants to trade for something more beneficial to me.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
After you have carved with the DB crooked knife for a while, I suspect that you will want a couple more with different sweeps.
Or you buy farrier's knives and revise the bevels, trash the handles (OK as they are) , and haft the blades in handles of your own sizing.
I've made up 7 like that, some Mora (Sweden) 171, some Diamond (Taiwan) 271 and a UKAL (France)
Or, you pay a visit to your local farrier to ask what they do with "worn-out" hoof knives.
For me, the worn-out version of a Hall (Canada) drop-blade knife cost me $5. The new Hall knives are $50 each.

I like the farrier's blades as they have a hook at the tip which is the equivalent of a very expensive scorp.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I just remembered today that I have a 10kg box of seasoned hardwood offcuts I bought a couple of years back before I found whittling and carving green wood a hell of a lot easier. What can I do with it? I know one bit is going to be used to make a handle for my new Dave budd crook knife that arrived yesterday :p

If the only option is to use it on a lathe or burn it, I may see if anyone wants to trade for something more beneficial to me.

Turn it or burn it is two options. I would suggest saving it for those jobs where you need something already seasoned.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I know you said off its but depending on the size you could make a nice mallet, which is always handy to have :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE