Searching for desolate areas (S. Europe)

May 15, 2012
Essex
So I wanna do some camping trips to some countries in Europe and gain experience before heading off for a longer stretch in Aus or US. My question is how can I found out how desolate an area of the woodlands, desert or mountains is. I've used google maps to look for areas isolated from civilisation but I'm not confident in doing it this way. For Spain I used a topographic map to follow streams but they seemed to have trails and small towns nearby.

And if there's anyone out there who is also interested in living off the grid then message me por favor. I'm not saying we should go together but I really want to speak to someone about this subject rather than just reading the same old articles.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Welcome.

As Seoras has already mentioned, tell us about yourself over in the 'Introductions & welcomes' section.

Here is the link.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

To answer your question, ask.

Go to the country you like the look/sound off and ask. That has worked for me.:)

Although there are some remote/desolate places to find yourself in Europe in my experience none of them are empty of people, so have a little of the language and don't do anything that might offend the locals.

Greece can be pretty desolate in parts, Turkey too.
For fewer people but less desolate, try the Alps.

If you want experience of living 'off the grid' there are no shortage of communities across Europe who will give you a few weeks work at certain times of the year.

:)

Last edited:
May 15, 2012
Essex
I just assumed the introductions forum wouldn't be popular. I saw a website which had a list of legal and illegal country's where u could pitch a tent. Ill be honest and say I don't have any experience but I'm sure that's not a problem if I take a survival course, study the wildlife and terrain of the area and bring along the tools I need. This is why I signed up to these forums so that I could listen to some opinions of experienced campers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE