Seals, Shoals, Shell beaches and Sun

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

2013-08-25 12.51.38.jpg by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Had two days open canoeing in the Arisaig area. Lots of seals, shell and coral beaches, shoals of wee fish and lotsa sun.

From the left, Eigg, Rhum and then Skye Cuillin. All five campsites are small ~20 pitches, and all are beach side pitches. Basking sharks watching on Saturday in the sound of Sleat too.and lotsa sun.

We did the shorter Sleat tour with this firm, know their stuff too, Sharks within 10ft of the boat ! Amazing......
http://whalespotting.co.uk/trips.htm

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Do you plan your trips around high tide and low tide, when paddling on the sea? Or doesnt it make much difference?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

It's a lovely place Dave, we had three nights there a few weeks ago. There's not a great deal to do nearby but great if you like walking, biking and paddling, the sunsets were amazing.

Another place I need to paddle was down a road just outside the centre of Arisaig village, follow the single track road through Morroch, signposted for Rhue I think, until it comes to a dead end with parking places. There was a whole bunch of islands to explore and Loch nan Ceall looked amazing, not sure what the currents were like but I'll be looking into it one day.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Do you plan your trips around high tide and low tide, when paddling on the sea? Or doesnt it make much difference?

The beaches appear after high tide. So we launched at our campsite, Gorten Sands, and just got through the channel, then just picked our way around the skerries, rock pooling, watching seals, sea anemones. Mainly to wait for the beaches to appear. I reckon 2hrs after high tide - Mallaig - is best. The main islands are cut off, dry, after 2hrs of tide. It depends on the springs too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE