Screw Pegs!

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
This may prove useful to some -

When I’m out in the sticks and noise isn’t an issue, or I’m in bushcraft mode, I will most often fashion the shelter anchor pegs that I need from local natural material and tap them in with the back of an axe head.

When noise is an issue, I might get away with pushing pegs into the ground and achieving sufficient grip or there may be the odd exposed tree root available – but rarely as many as I need at the time.

The problem is exacerbated when there is a deep layer of leaf litter and/or peat before you even reach the subsoil. Such situations prompted me to knock out a miniature version of those screw-in anchor stakes that you often see canines tethered to, but which I then developed further into the ones shown in the images – made from 5mm mild steel wire wound around a 15mm bar.
The images show the results.

Depending on the nature of the sub-soil they can be easily turned in by hand or if the going is hard by using a straight peg to increase the torque.
I’ve been using them periodically for several years now with more success than failures and thought that I ought to try for a reasonably definitive test.

Hardly scientific but I have carried out a pull test in my lawn using a luggage weighing scale on three different types of peg to see how the screw-peg fares.
The straight pegs were pushed in right up to the head.
The screw-peg was wound-in leaving about 2inches (50mm) proud
The first test saw the pegs pushed vertically into the ground and the pull was vertical.
The second test saw the pegs pushed into the ground at 45° and the pull angle was at about 45° to the ground.

Test 1 results – vertical -
The slightly curved wire peg (a là Polish Lavvu) pulled clean out at only 2 pounds.
The nail peg held until 30 pounds and then pulled out;
The screw-peg remained in situ at 45 pounds (limit of scale).

Test 2 results – 45°
Both the Lavvu wire and the nail pegs simply pulled upright and then shot out of the ground as previously. The pull weight was about the same, the process took perhaps slightly longer.

The screw peg loop and straight section cut through the ground until upright and then further until it had moved through 90° - (effectively facing the opposite direction which it had begun) and it remained firmly in situ. I carefully dug one out to reveal the earth plug that it had created. (see images)

I carry a set of four in my deployment kit ‘just in case’. :)

Screwpeg(i).jpg Screwpeg(ii).jpg Screwpeg(iii).jpg IMAG0370.jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
You're welcome -

It was a fellow member who prompted the post after asking for comments on a shelter set up which raised the issue re how much pressure ground anchors might be put under if a wind gets up. If you consider how relatively little more material is involved in a hang glider for instance - which can lift a person - potentially quite considerable. Although I have only developed them for/used them in woodland, if the ground is your only anchor option (open country) it might be wise to carry a solution in your kit.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Nifty that. Simple, practical and it looks like it works a treat. First image makes me think of shoving it into a nice chunk of beef and hanging over the fire. Thanks for sharing.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Quietone you've 'pegged' it!

Almost all my C&E is multi-function but I hadn't thought of that one. :)

Incidentally I'm not sure if it shows up clearly in the images but I cut a slight angle on the leading edge of the screw section to help with the turning in process.

The pegs have been in periodic use since I made them, in conjunction with bungee cords which I think always helps to ease any sudden shock load from a windblown basher.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Quietone you've 'pegged' it!

Almost all my C&E is multi-function but I hadn't thought of that one. :)

Incidentally I'm not sure if it shows up clearly in the images but I cut a slight angle on the leading edge of the screw section to help with the turning in process.

The pegs have been in periodic use since I made them, in conjunction with bungee cords which I think always helps to ease any sudden shock load from a windblown basher.
Pegged it.. Haha, indeed.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
another greatful thumbs up here. ive recently bought 12 delta anchors ....these jaeger-pegs will compliment them perfectly ....and save me some quids to buy a beer and raise it to your goodself before i commit any patent infringement lol

cheers
76b7f7a859a55607b456b11b4d3876f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Jaeger-pegs - I like it. Re patenting - bet some enterprising Chinese firm has been knocking them out before the first reply to my OP came through!:lmao:

Its nice to hear that something I've T-ed up may be of use to others in the community.

As they say - 'watch this space'!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE