Saw Sharpening - anyone else do this?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've only done this once; I bought an old rip saw that was advertised as 'professionally sharpened'. Yeah, right, sharpened to crosscut. Ebay seller wouldn't refund so I recut the teeth by hand; afterwards it ripped like a gigawatt laser.

I have a really good Stanley crosscut saw that has been hung up in the damp too long - teeth need setting and sharpening. Just bid on some teeth setting pliers and will have to dig out the file.

Way back when I was a nipper one local job (offering apprenticeships) was 'saw doctor' in one of the sawmills.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think I might make something out of some planks so I can move it round - what does a 'proper' saw vice look like?

Last time I set the teeth using ratnose pliers which was far from ideal. My crosscut is fairly fine-toothed so I want to get it even.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You should be able to pick up a decent setting tool like the Eclipse 77 for 3 or 4 quid if you trawl around the car boot sales.

Dave

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I just stick mine in the regular vise and go at it with the file. Makes a real difference, saves money, prolongs saw blade life, and is a responsible use of resources. (How many just get chucked when they get dull?!?) I was told by someone with experience in this to only hit the teeth that needed it (on a circular saw blade, not sure about a handsaw). I would be interested to see how much a real saw vise made this job easier.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I used to have access to a big engineering vise - key to a good consistent 'cut' on the teeth was having them only just clear of the vise jaws. Even this meant moving the saw in the vise every few inches.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for the tips. I mean to have a go at my regular handsaw soon. It's feeling like it needs it.

1-P1280597.JPG

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I will take a pic of my saw vice tomorrow if you want. It's at work at the mo'.
To make your life a lot easier try and find an Eclipse 38, it is a saw file jig that helps you maintain the correct angles for different tooth styles.
I have the instructions for one that was in my father in laws toolbox if you get one without them.
The key to saw sharpening is consistency in both angle of filing and how many strokes per tooth to maintain the line of teeth.
If you damage a tooth then file off the bent bit to tidy it up, but always sharpen all the teeth each time.
I learnt as an apprentice to freehand sharpen so had to get them re-cut within five years :( but they have held up to my abuse well for the past 25 years :D

Rob.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I know, I'm a bit ashamed of the condition my tools are in. I don't have a proper shop, and things get rained on constantly. My files too are a rusty mess, but I still use them constantly. Can't wait to have all of my stuff properly protected, but that might not happen until the kids are grown....

Resetting the teeth. I know nothing about that, so I'll need to educate myself.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Aren't most sawset pliers adjustable? the only one I've handled before was definitely adjustable.

I've an old pair of saw set pliers in the shed somewhere.not sure what condition their in.zap me a pm over the weekend too remind me n I'll dig em out for yer.if I can find em you can have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
There's a really good video on youtube. A step by step tutorial. Someone posted it here before. Its like an hour long and covers everything.

It was an oldschool American fella. He used kerosine and a sharpening stone to clean up the blade. Hung it from a rafter to see how straight it was. Used an anvil and a huge straight peen hammer to straighten the blade. Then he jointed the teeth, reprofiled, resharpened and set the teeth.
Anyone else remember it? Got a link? Its well worth the watch, especially if your thinking about fixing a saw up.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Aren't most sawset pliers adjustable? the only one I've handled before was definitely adjustable.

They are adjustable, but the Eclipse 77 is only adjustable between 4 and 12 points per inch settings if I remember* it right.
You rotate the disc shaped anvil to whatever setting you need, but they give too much set for saws with more teeth.
Some argue that they give too much set even on the supposedly correct settings.
Plus every once in a while its a good idea to joint the saw.

Fair bit of info HERE

*I'm sure about the 12 teeth but not positive about the 4 teeth part.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There's a really good video on youtube. A step by step tutorial. Someone posted it here before. Its like an hour long and covers everything.

It was an oldschool American fella. He used kerosine and a sharpening stone to clean up the blade. Hung it from a rafter to see how straight it was. Used an anvil and a huge straight peen hammer to straighten the blade. Then he jointed the teeth, reprofiled, resharpened and set the teeth.
Anyone else remember it? Got a link? Its well worth the watch, especially if your thinking about fixing a saw up.

Hmm I'd have thought you would set the teeth then sharpen them. Will have to do some reading.

I've an old pair of saw set pliers in the shed somewhere.not sure what condition their in.zap me a pm over the weekend too remind me n I'll dig em out for yer.if I can find em you can have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice offer. I've already bid on some on ebay so will wait to see if I get those.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE