Saw a pure white squirell today

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I was sitting down with a brew on the edge of a new wood I was exploring & saw this white animal come climbing down a tree about 30 yards away. I caught a glimpse of this out of the corner of my eye & then it went away for a bit. Some time later it appeared between 2 trees a bit closer, where I could see it was definatly a squirrel with a lovely white coat & tail. It was white all over with not a mark on him. At first i thought it could be a ferret, maybe a mink or something but when it was close it was definatly a squirell. It was great to watch him for a bit before he climbed back up his tree. I have heard of black ones or some which are greay with a bit of red in them but have never seen a brilliant wite one like this before. It was great to watch and made my day. I tried to get a snap with my camera phone but the photos were rubbish. It's typical that the one day I leave my proper digital camera at home, due to the heavy rain in the morning, that I get to see a great animal like this. Thought I would share the sighting. Has anyone else seen such an animal before?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thats the fellow I saw. Well you learn something new every day, especially on this site. I will mention it to the lads to see if any of them have seen any, as they are amazing looking creatures in the flesh. You would not have thought they would last too long but this one was fully grown and looked healthy enough.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"Well you learn something new every day, especially on this site"

A bit off topic I know but I think that your statement is very true about loads of stuff I come across on here Thats why I love it

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Too true. There shere breadth & depth of things covered is amazing. Take something as obscure as an white albino squirrel and somebody knows about it. Amazing.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I never knew white squirrels got to that age, thought they were pretty much always predated pretty early on due to their lacking eyesight and hearing, good on you for seeing one and letting us know!
I'm sure it'll be possible to get a photo or two now you know its there.

cheers
:)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Next time i am up that way I will take my camera & see if I can get a picture or two. Should not be too hard as I now know where he lives....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE