saving bookmarks and other putor advice

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok got a new laptop as mentioned and not sure how to transfer my fav over to the new laptop?!
I have saved them on to a memory stick but not sure where to go from there. Got loads of bookmarks I want to not lose but me being a bit thick an all........
I use Morzilla.
Secondly my mate (not me honest) was setting up a little notebook for his granddaughter ansd was about to put a password in when his other grandaughter grabbed to notebook. Result she managed to press loads of unknoiwn buttons that showed up as **** 's and then press save!!!!:nono:
So how can he get into the notebook???
Im sorry Im not sure exactly what it is as he didnt know but said he would let me know what putor etc it is.
Many thanks D

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
Hi, I assume you are using Mozilla\firefox? To import in firefox click on bookmarks on the toolbar and select organise bookmarks from the drop down menu. It should open a new box and on the toolbar of the box is the option to import and backup bookmarks. You can choose to restore from a file so find the file on the memory stick or if your favourites have been saved as a html file can select that option.

As for your mate depends on the operating system but for most I'm afraid it's bad news as if he was setting it up it was probably the admin password that he was typing in and he hadn't set up any other users on the notebook yet. Without that it's a rebuild job. When I say 'rebuild' not rebuild the laptop just has to reinstall the OS again.

Last edited:

resnikov

You can use this to reset the admin password of most windows installs. http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ It does not read the password, it just lets you over write it in the registry. Read the doco / faq for it well and dont complain to me if you cannot get it working or it kills you PC. I have used suspensefully many times for my work.

As to save from you tube a quick google gives you lots of options.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you install 'Google Chrome' (Google's browser) into your old PC it will be able to import the bookmarks you are using there. Then from the Google Chrome preferences you can switch on the 'sync' option and it will back up your bookmarks to your Google account (you need a Google email address) and then sync your bookmarks to your new machine (or indeed any other PC's you choose.

:)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
ok whats a json file and why cant I open it?
Saved my bookmarks onto a memory stick and now cant import them to the new putor.
The google chrome seems a good idea but the old laptop is so slow dont want to put anything on it in fact I want to wipe it in order to improve the darn thing hence me wanted to save my bookmarks
Ta d

Darkside

Forager
Nov 2, 2009
Aldershot, UK
Did you export the bookmarks from the old puter onto the meory stick or just save them? You need to export to HTML and save it on the memory stick and then on the new puter Import from HTML.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
ok whats a json file and why cant I open it?

A .json file isn't what you want. :)

If you are using Mozilla you should first select 'organize bookmarks' from the bookmarks menu, when the new window opens one of the menu items along the top allows you to export to .html

The resulting file can be saved to a usb stick or you can simply email it to yourself.

That should sort you out.

Edited to add:

Here is a 'help' article...

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing up and restoring bookmarks#w_manual-backup

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks guys all done. Now turned on the putor this morning and got flippin ask jeeves ask my browser arhhhhhhhhhh can I get rid of it ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? No
I thought uninstall in the add/ remove programmes would do it?
I hate computors.
D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks guys all done. Now turned on the putor this morning and got flippin ask jeeves ask my browser arhhhhhhhhhh can I get rid of it ?

Do you mean as your homepage rather than browser? Or do you have the 'Ask' toolbar installed. If it is the former then change your homepage from Mozilla preferences to whatever you prefer, if it is the toolbar then yes you will have to uninstall it.

Alternatively install Google Chrome a browser that even my seventy-five year old father in law can get to grips with. :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
yep sorry got it sorted ga zooks took some messing! I ended up with the xxl page add on and didnt like that and couldnt get rid either!!!!
All back to normal now!!!
dave

Apr 10, 2017
London
Secondly my mate (not me honest) was setting up a little notebook for his granddaughter ansd was about to put a password in when his other grandaughter grabbed to notebook. Result she managed to press loads of unknoiwn buttons that showed up as **** 's and then press save!!!!:nono:
So how can he get into the notebook???
Im sorry Im not sure exactly what it is as he didnt know but said he would let me know what putor etc it is.
Many thanks D

Please don't use NT Password or Ophcrack for Windows 10 based computers as it doesn't work at all. It wasted me 3 hours to figure it out. A good solution to the problem is UUkeys. Just tested it on my dell laptop.

Last edited:

Masccerty

Oct 31, 2017
New York
Please don't use NT Password or Ophcrack for Windows 10 based computers as it doesn't work at all. It wasted me 3 hours to figure it out. A good solution to the problem is UUkeys. Just tested it on my dell laptop.
How could this happen ? as i know the Ophcrack is free way , and i used to tried and it didn't take long time,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE