Safe Light LED torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi all,

A little review…

Last year I bought a Safe Light LED torch, https://www.safe-light.com/index.html, it was my second and I happened to post this thread…

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=91503&posted=1#post915

To cut a long story short I entered into a little bit of communication with James Meyer, the Executive Manager at Safe-Light, who kindly offered to send me a torch that was in development, upon its release. This he duly did a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I would post my thoughts on this new torch, compared with my other two.

I have three of PAL/SAFE LIGHTS torches now.

https://www.safe-light.com/cartimages/ACF1CA4.jpg is a small LED torch running off one 9V battery. It has four lighting states, low intensity always on, half power, full power and emergency flashing (2 flashes per second).

I thought this was a great torch and still do, but having used it for a few years, it does have a couple of disadvantages. I always felt the method of securing the two halves of the torch together, a clipped together spring steel band, was a little vulnerable, having said that it never let me down.

Secondly, although the beam is very bright (for such a small torch and in its price range), it is very narrow (a pool of light 37cm in diameter at 4.4 metres which, if my trig’ is correct, gives beam angle of around 2½°). Although this gives the torch impressive dark penetration (for such a small torch) it makes it less useful for what you use a small torch for – close up illumination and walking.

Finally, without something to reflect the light off, it isn’t much use for ambient lighting (although I did find the top of a Tesco’s mini insect bite aerosol was a push fit over the lens and converted the torch into a great diffuse ambient light source).

However, this is a lovely little torch, and my criticisms are a little unfair considering its size and cost.

The second torch I bought, https://www.safe-light.com/cartimages/ACF1DEF.jpg, seems to be the same light system and has the same performance and similar functionality (this model having a full OFF facility but looses the half power setting), the differences largely being its shell. It has a hard plastic case, as apposed to the rubberised case of the torch above. This also has a removable belt clip and magnetic mount. The fundamental difference is the translucent top of the torch which acts as a diffuser for the edge of the beam, making the torch usable as an ambient light source. It works well, but as the main output of the torch is still used in the beam it’s still not as good as it could be (and not as good as the Tesco’s modification!). Because this is essentially the same torch as my original, it suffers the same problems as a result of its narrow beam.

The new torch that was kindly given to me https://www.safe-light.com/cartimages/ACFB04B.jpg returns to the look of the original. It is very slightly larger and is much more solidly built altogether. It has lost the spring steel fastening belt, which is replaced with a base cap fastened with a screw. Because of this, I don’t think the torch looks as nice now (never happy!), but this modification does makes the torch water proof. It also now has a detachable belt clip and magnetic mount. The lighting modes have changed too. Off, very low output always on, half power, full power and Morse SOS signal. However, the most significant change is the beam angle (a pool of light 2.2 metre in diameter at 4.4 metres which gives beam angle of around 7°). Although there is still a central bright spot about the same size as the other two models, there is a very even spread of light that covers a large area. Obviously it doesn’t have the distance power of the other two models, but it does solve their major problems. It’s much easier to use close up and is great when walking. And because of this wider beam, it is more usable as an ambient source.

All in all a really good little torch and, at the price, very very difficult to beat, in my opinion. Of course it’s still not a patch on the perfect torch I imagined when I was a kid, but it’s getting pretty close.

AJB

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Not a problem TC. Only did it because there was some interest about the new torch on the original thread.

AJB

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I've had my first one for about five years and it's still going strong. But if you meant battery life, with the "always on" function, on, about 18 months before you have to spend a quid on a new battery!

AJB

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
AJB said:
I've had my first one for about five years and it's still going strong. But if you meant battery life, with the "always on" function, on, about 18 months before you have to spend a quid on a new battery!

AJB

Shocking, a quid after 18 months! :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I like them, they aren’t anything super bright or tactical or any of the other things that get talked about. Just a reliable little torch for your pocket. I’d go for the new one for general use.

Let me know what you think.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
The one site while american has a uk division when you go to shopping basket when I ordered two one was out of stock here so was sent directly from the states but only adeed a few days to the delivery time and I was kept upto speed via e-mails good service.
http://www.palights.com/ one tip they are cheaper if buying more than one.
Dave.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cheers mate! - pass the flezy friend! :eek: ............... of course I NEED it love ;)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi thanks for the info AJB.

edit:
I got the cheapest model delivered with the post today, and I must say I like it. It looks strong and very waterproof. Yet I would like a wider beam like you stressed in your review, but it's not such a big deal if you look at the price I got this light for :)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Old topic, but I have a question about the safe light newer model (I have the cheapest model). Since my model always switches on when I carry it in my trousers, I'd like to know if this is the case with the newer model as well? Or is the button protected from not being pressed in accidentally..

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I wouldn’t say it was protected anymore than any of the other models, but then it’s not really a problem I’ve experienced with any of the models. Sorry I wouldn’t say it was protected anymore than any of the other models, but then it’s not really a problem I’ve experienced with any of the models. Sorry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE