Royal Mail 'Special' Delivery with 'Tracking'.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just a wee word of warning to folks planning on using the Special Delivery option when moving things around.

I have sent two items by Special Delivery and both items did arrive with the correct folks, however in both cases the tracking system was quite hopeless, for a few hours it would indicate that the item had been dropped off at a Post Office and then display the message 'no information available for this item try again later.

That message would sit there overnight before being replaced by a 'your item is out for delivery' and then eventually 'your item has been delivered' message.

So be aware that unlike most carriers the tracking your customers will see may indicate that no package is en-route when he or she checks the Post Office web site, no earlier status messages are listed in a history, simply no information will be available.

Additionally the second package arrived with my intended addressee, I know this because he sent me a PM here. However when I had checked the tracker site earlier it indicated that they had failed to deliver the item as 'no one was in', the reason for this possibly being that they didn't get it there before 13:00 and the Post Office are trying not to have to refund me my postage costs.

Still at least the packages arrived. :)

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I had a spot of bother on the recieving end of this the other day. I had recieved the first text, that the item was due to be delivered on that day. Waited and waited and waited. Spotted the postman in the van at the top of the street, and then the van left. After that I got the second text to say that my item had been delivered.

At that point I panicked as I assumed that my item had indeed been delivered but to the wrong address. Now getting through to Royal Mail on the telephone is not easy, so I went through to complaints, as the tracking option on the phone menu was a blind alley. I was told on the phone that not only had the item been delivered, it had been signed for, which got me really suspicious. However whilst I was on the phone I saw the van return, and my parcel was delivered, however the postie had signed for it himself, which apparantly triggers off the "item has been delivered" text. I assume the postie will get a rollicking over that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE