Rowan Spoon help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I think i may have something of a stumbling block with a spoon for a friends young son, so thought id check it out with those who know better on here.
:)
Ive made what i thinks a nice little spoon out of Rowan (no pics as yet), at as it is the little chaps name.

I did notice when i got the wood that the grain is very wide and fiberousely layered, which doesnt make it ideal as you get stringy strands which are a bit of a so and so. Its these i see a problem with - over time wont small food bits get stuck in there and go manky or discolour the wood. These are much larger than on other woods ive tried (might Rowan have a particularly short but vigerouse growth season?)

To be honest i noticed it quite early on buit thought someone here might have some bright ideas? I was wondering about heating a small quantity of beeswax and dabbing this into the end of these sections. Had anyone tried this or have any better ideas? Could heated beeswax be mixed with food oil for the final coating even?

The recipients are not very crafty so it would be good to be 'clean' finish...

Thanks in advance!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just try and get it as smooth as possible, either with the knife, or spend some time working through the grits of sandpaper, if still a bit furry after use wet spoon and allow to dry, to raise the grain then re-sand.
Oil after if like with sunflower oil, lindseed food grade oil, or walnut if not alergic to nuts. Stay away from olive oil though as it doesnt cure too well and can get mouldy if stored.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Thanks for that but i have gone through grades of sandpaper, its not the sanding that is the issue, perhapse i didnt explain.
The grain looks almost like pine you, know wide alternate rings agoing nice wood - slightly perforated (presumably looking down the Xylem and Phloem?) so when you cut through them no amount of sanding will stop their being littel holes going accross the grain. Does that make more sence?
The idea being to fill the little holes. Wish i had a pic it would be soo much easier!

This rowan is not close grained - was taken from norway potentially shorter growing season...? the one on your pic is definately more close grained.... oh bother...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE