Roselli Carpenter new DIY sheath and freehand sharpening edge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
I visited Knife Heaven yesterday, who unfortunately :) are situated in the same village / town as me...
Always a bad idea :) haha
I ended up with a 103mm Carbon Karesuando blade (the last) blank/ blade and the last Roselli Carpenter, since I do some carving and it was an addition to my Mora's

I made a new sheath, since the original was a bit thin and I don't like plastic inserts (ruins razor edges)
3,5 mm veg tan leather sami style
wetfoarmed
My own beeswax/ Pinetar mix (all natural)

The edge was quite blunt and a bit scandivex with the common terrible micro bevel, so flattened it to true scandi with 240, 400, 800, 1200, 6000 and 8000 King stones
Now very very sharp
The handle I soaked a night in my linseed/Pine tar mix

I hope u like it.
suggestions, comments, critics and such welcome

XnRetro_31-10-2015%2020_06_39_zpsexwamwfx.jpg

XnRetro_31-10-2015%2020_07_26_zpsf95ozkwm.jpg

XnRetro_31-10-2015%2020_08_33_zpsvilemllu.jpg

Last edited:

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Very nice work Mors, that's a great handle it must give a lot of versatility and control to the blade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Thank You so much for the kind comments.

The 200 euro kainuun puukkos were too much for me, but for 60 euro's I got a wonderfull knife, 3,5 mm spine and indeed a wonderfull handle and very good multi grips.
I like natural no nonsence ��

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
thanks Crosslandkelly.
It is very simple but I like it.
I got a weak spot for simple old school stuff :)
ps the combo is very light too :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Looks amazing, could you tell us more how you produce tar for yourself? I'd be very interested in having a go one day, I do have my own bees waх. The paste I'm making for metal surfaces is bees wax, linseed oil and canned turpentine if I could swap this to home made stuff that would be great!

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hi Milius
for leatherconditioner I make this:
1 pure Beeswax (from a beekeeper)
30-40% Orange terpentine https://www.dictum.com/en/surfaces/...78/pure-orange-oil-1-l?elioOrdernumber=705278
20% Olive oil

one can add pine tar like 20-30 or 40 % depending how dark you want it
Unfortunately I do not have pine resin roots from boggy ereas (all protected here) and the space to make pine tar, but this is very good:
https://www.dictum.com/en/surfaces/...urutjaera-pine-tar-1-l?elioOrdernumber=705347
they also sell more expensive tars, but never used it

the handle is soaked in 50/50 Furutjaera and linseed oil
https://www.dictum.com/en/surfaces/...wedish-linseed-oil-raw-1-l?ffRefKey=-8JGzNXb2

I Always use all my mixtures happy on everything wood and leather :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That recipe is very close to mine, and the smell is amazing, sometimes I want to taste it :D :D Good stuff, thanks for sharing !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE