rosebay willow-herb: Epilobium angustifolium

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i thought i'd start one of these...

"---Medicinal Action and Uses---The roots and leaves have demulcent, tonic and astringent properties and are used in domestic medicine in decoction, infusion and cataplasm, as astringents.

Used much in America as an intestinal astringent.

The plant contains mucilage and tannin.

The dose of the herb is 30 to 60 grains. It has been recommended for its antispasmodic properties in the treatment of whoopingcough, hiccough and asthma.

In ointment, it has been used locally as a remedy for infantile cutaneous affections.

By some modern botanists, this species is now assigned to a separate genus and designated: Chamcenerion angustifolium (Scop.). "

(http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/w/wilher23.html)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
locum76 said:
i thought i'd start one of these...

"---Medicinal Action and Uses---The roots and leaves have demulcent, tonic and astringent properties and are used in domestic medicine in decoction, infusion and cataplasm, as astringents.

Used much in America as an intestinal astringent.

The plant contains mucilage and tannin.

The dose of the herb is 30 to 60 grains. It has been recommended for its antispasmodic properties in the treatment of whoopingcough, hiccough and asthma.

In ointment, it has been used locally as a remedy for infantile cutaneous affections.

By some modern botanists, this species is now assigned to a separate genus and designated: Chamcenerion angustifolium (Scop.). "

(http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/w/wilher23.html)

Now again, in English? :confused:

Sorry - I'm really not meaning to take the p**s but, as a non-medical/pharmicologist/herbalist layman, I don't actually know what a lot of the terms mean.

'Infantile cutaneous affections', I assume is 'brat skin rash'.

'Intestinal astringent', 'demulcent', though?

My interest would be in the fact that RBWH is also frequently mentioned as a food source. What is the impact of eating RBWH in quantity? I'm particularly concerned about the 'intestinal astringent' bit!!!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
"Named after its narrow, Willow-like leaves, this plant grows as an upright spike to 1.2m (4ft) with purplish pink flowers. It is one of the eight willw herbs we have in this country. Rosebay Willowherb loves ground where there has been a fire, hence one common name, Fireweed (West Country). Other names include Apple Pie, Cat's Eyes, Ranting Widow and Blooming Sally.

Use the young green leaves raw or cooked as a vegetable. Linnaeus describes the young shoots as served and eaten like asparagus."

Condensed from 101 Wild Plants For the Kitchen - Geoffrey Eley

"willowherb is another of the weeds you can eat. I have found the leaves tough... but I advise you to watch out for the first shoots and pick as many as you can: if they are only 3" tips they will be the most tender and suitable for experimenting in any Chinese dish. Used with imagination, Willowherb could rise to gourmet heights, but used tender & dished up in a hurry with butter, lemon, a squirt of soy or splash of tomato, anyone can get by".

Condensed from 'Living in a Wild Garden' - Roger Banks

"Native Americans used to eat the shoots, wove the tough stems into fishing nets and baskets. The flowers yield copious nectar for bees."

From The Encyclopedia of Wild Flowers - John Akeroyd

That's some of what I have on it.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Occasionally also known as fireweed, not because of the colour or use as a tinder, but because it often pops up on ground that has recently been burnt. (darn, too slow, I see that's already been posted :D )

H

herby

Hi Mikey,
Astringent means it's drying - the tannins do this.
Demulcent means it sooths and moistens - the mucilage does this.
Because it has both properties then eating it in quantity shouldn't over dry the gut.
It is a good question though. As with everything moderation is the key.

The Hamlyn guide only has it as an edible not a medicinal and says the young shoots and the "underground stock" can be used as a vegetable.

Andrew Chevallier says you can use the leaf stem and flower for certain bowel conditions.

Applying this to bushcraft it's probably useful to know that this includes diarrhoea. So if you're out camping and it's in flower, pick some when you set up camp and let them dry in the sun. It can then be made into a tea to use in case of toilet emergencies.

I have to admit this is all hypothetical, I've never tried it myself. I'll dry some over the summer though and (if the occasion arises) experiment with it.

The Hamlyn guide to edible and medicinal plants of Britain and Northern Europe - Edmund Launert
The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants - Andrew Chevallier

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You can make quite a nice cordage from the outer skin. The technique is discussed (at some length, with a nice tutorial :)) in this thread, along with some discussion of how to prepare the root for eating. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Watch which willowherb is being described in some of the medical/ herbal/ edible texts. For instance, lesser willowherb leaves can be fermented, dried and crushed, and make a pretty fair tea substitute. The fireweed one isn't so good.

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure if this is appropriate but its historically intersting that this was also know as the "bombsite bush" in the time of the blitz for much the same reason as it was known as "fireweed"

Red

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
herby said:
Hi Mikey,
Astringent means it's drying - the tannins do this.
Demulcent means it sooths and moistens - the mucilage does this.
Because it has both properties then eating it in quantity shouldn't over dry the gut.
It is a good question though. As with everything moderation is the key.

The Hamlyn guide only has it as an edible not a medicinal and says the young shoots and the "underground stock" can be used as a vegetable.

Andrew Chevallier says you can use the leaf stem and flower for certain bowel conditions.

Applying this to bushcraft it's probably useful to know that this includes diarrhoea. So if you're out camping and it's in flower, pick some when you set up camp and let them dry in the sun. It can then be made into a tea to use in case of toilet emergencies.

I have to admit this is all hypothetical, I've never tried it myself. I'll dry some over the summer though and (if the occasion arises) experiment with it.

The Hamlyn guide to edible and medicinal plants of Britain and Northern Europe - Edmund Launert
The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants - Andrew Chevallier

Aaaaaaaaaaaa........all is clear.

Thankyou 'locum76' and 'herby' - that's really quite useful! I know it's more for the 'Fire' forum (and I don't want to get off topic here) but, am I right in saying that RBWH is the one with the purple flowers and the fine 'feathers' that can be used for firelighting?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
British Red said:
Not sure if this is appropriate but its historically intersting that this was also know as the "bombsite bush" in the time of the blitz for much the same reason as it was known as "fireweed"

Red

Yeah, it's very good at colonising areas which have been recently burnt. Originially an introduced garden ornamental, it spread around the country by rail funnily enough. Its seeds, being light and fluffy, are easily carried in the wake of a train, and the burnt embankments of the steam age provided an ideal habitat.

Many moons ago when I lived a vagrants life and whatever (in the height of Thatcherism and unemployment), I between would depend on wild food when money was tight. My favourite was nettle and willowherb stew with roadkill rabbit.

Willowherb was a good addition to suppliment my food but be warned it turns your pee green!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE