Rose Hip tea Making.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I picked some rose hips yesterday and fancied making a tea with them. couple of things i cant find answers to:
have cleaned the seeds out and now have halves of 5 hips, I have added them to some water in a cup but I see some small hairs floating around, Should the boiling water neutralise the hairs irritant?

I
When i searched out the recipes i found several all slightly different. ranging from dry the pods to use whole.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I Should the boiling water neutralise the hairs irritant?

Not sure if the boiling water would deal with the irritants but if you're not sure and what to be safe you can always filter the tea through a paper coffee filter before you drink then you won't have to worry about it. If you don't have coffee filters try doing it through a linen cloth

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks mesquite, after a good readup I took the plunge. I let them sit in a cup for a good 10 mins and then strained the tea through a New handkerchief, I tried the tea and it didn't taste of much really but had no problems. Next i tried some of the pulp from the leftover hips which was quite pleasant and a little sharp. I then tried some of the whole hip (skin and pulp) which was nice also and now a bit softer than when I started, so all in all good result.

No problems here after 10 mins of ingestion and the coffee paper is definitely the way to go in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE