Root Cordage Question

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Is pine root usable as cord for a bow drill?

By that I mean immediately usable once you've dug it up, as I want to try and make a bow drill set in the wild as it were. I've worked with pine root before and it struck me that if you get a length of the right thickness it might be strong and flexible enough to work as above, even if it only works once before being shredded.

There is no shortage of pine trees where I do a lot of my practising so getting a root whenever I need it is easy.

Has anyone ever done this?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I tried this ( for a frustrating afternoon!) a few years back and although it was sitka spruce, as opposed to pine, I wouldn't expect a different outcome, which was a total fail.

Saying that; it was used straight from the ground as you mentioned, whether it would work better after a good boiling/softening up is a different matter though I doubt the ultimate outcome would differ.

This is veering off your original question butI think you might have more success with Wych Elm inner bark, particularly if you plaited it after the normal twisted string process?

I have a length of cord made in this way on the large bucket pictured here and its as strong and flexible today as it was when I first made the cord in 2006ish. It's still easily strong and durable enough for a bow drill:
PC170010copyresized1.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck with the drill

cheers

Steve

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks for the useful feedback RB.

I think I'll give it a miss and concentrate on some different cordage!

goodjob

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
stinging nettle bark would work very well, it could be done in a day if the air is warm enough, willow bark would work too if you use the inner stuff and twist it up as with other cordage....

you just need the right (warm) day to give it a go..

OldSarge

Jul 30, 2011
Tacoma Washington USA
spruce root is strong and cedar is my favorite. Pine breaks way easier than cedar. I have made cordage out of cedar root that would make great bow drill string, I wouldn't use it straight out of the ground, I would strip it, split it, and then twist it into cordage. I would say that a 2 or more ply piece of cordage should do the trick nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE