Romany recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
For those who are interested, this month’s Waitrose Food Illustrated magazine has an article on traditional Romany food.

Recipes are:-
Borscht,
Creamed mushrooms on toast,
Shrimp cakes,
Barbecued spicy chicken,
Frying-pan berry tart and
Griddle cakes.​
All taken from Gypsy Feast by Carol Wilson. Clear directions and excellent photos.

Enjoy.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Shame, I would have to go to Bristol to visit a Waitrose, over 30 miles away. In fact, as far as I know, there isn't one in the whole of Somerset. :(

Geoff

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
geoff88 said:
Shame, I would have to go to Bristol to visit a Waitrose, over 30 miles away. In fact, as far as I know, there isn't one in the whole of Somerset. :(

Geoff
If you want the recipe and details they are on the Waitrose web site I linked above. There's a decent Waitrose in Bath.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Thanks Simon,
Must be going blind with the links. :) Bath is an even greater distance than Bristol from where I live. :(

May try the mushrooms.

Geoff

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Nice link, interesting info on the origin of 'Gypsies' or 'Roma' as they prefer to be known. I'm sure that the Roma have a wealth of un-written knowledge passed down orally, I've always wanted to sit down for an evening with a proper group of Romanies and listen to the oldest and wisest of them for hours. Perhaps one day I shall.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'm sure that the Roma have a wealth of un-written knowledge passed down orally
They sure do as alot of the older generation do not read and write, but getting them to open upto a garje/gaji/gaje (sp?) can be kind of hard at times. We ended up talking language as alot of their words are derived from sanskrit as is hindi(of which I speak a little) ..... syntax is different but alot of nouns are the same ....chandre (moon) samudhra (sea) etc....

Ed

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
No mud baked hedgehog recipe then?
That's the only gypsy recipe I know.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
They sure do as alot of the older generation do not read and write, but getting them to open upto a garje/gaji/gaje (sp?) can be kind of hard at times. We ended up talking language as alot of their words are derived from sanskrit as is hindi(of which I speak a little) ..... syntax is different but alot of nouns are the same ....chandre (moon) samudhra (sea) etc....

I saw a group of Roma the other day, they were proper, colourful caravans and all that. Apparrenty the word 'Muckety' which the Roma use as a kind of word for un-Halal or un-Kosher is sanskrit in origin, and perhaps the route for our word 'mucky'. I think the word is used in association with anything deemed too dirty to be brought into the caravan, which apparrently, must be kept extremely clean according to Roma lore. I must admit I find all this Roma stuff fascinating, I feel a surf-for-knowledge commin on!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
oooh - gotta swing by waitrose on the way home then !
I think bushcrafters can learn alot from Romanies, gypsies and travellers. There are good and bad as in all groups of people, but having travelled with some I've learned alot from their way of life. Cooking all meals over a fire, sourcing water, carving clothes pegs and Chrysanthemums - The ultimate feather stick !
Not to mention poaching skills...
I look forward to the read.
Cheers
Rich

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Moonraker said:
Good heads up Malcolm, thanks :)

Frying-Pan Berry Tart looks good ;)

We've done something similar to the tart listed on the website with wild raspberries or blue berries while canoe camping.

Water, flour, salt, and oil for the crust, roll out the dough on the bottom of the canoe - sugar and berries for the filling. No cream, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE