Review - pogu micro spikes

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So this is my first ever kit review so bear with me please :) I've no connection to pogu. In fact I didn't know the company existed until Sunday lunch time after some time googling.

After some consideration about which type of ice spikes to purchase I opted for the pogu. While not the cheapest option the price is on par with other micro spike crampons on the market The major decision to go for the pogu spikes based wholly on the fact that it's a UK company.

I ordered them through the pogu website on Sunday evening and they arrived Wednesday morning. Thumbs up for speedy delivery

The package was small enough to go though the letter box so no pesky rescheduling or having to pick them up from the post office

epa3e3y8.jpg

The spikes come with a small zip Cordora bag for storing the spikes when not in use it also has a Handy little diagram of how to get them on your boots.
aza2uhus.jpg

Getting the spikes out of the bag they feel well constructed. There is a velcro strap that needs fitting that goes across the top of your foot
uzudu9en.jpg

Getting the spikes onto my boots wasn't to challenging and I had both on within minutes
ydavyvab.jpg

I was even able to remove my boots with the spikes on.
6a2e8a5u.jpg

The spike set up on the bottom should provide much needed traction in icy conditions

qyse4uve.jpg

Which is just as well as jack frost is visiting tonight
ape2a8y8.jpg

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow if I use them.

Orric

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great stuff Orric. :)

I really like how the toe spikes are further forward on these compared to my Kahtoolas and the strap is great touch. On my stiff boots , the Kahtoolas can occasionally slip at the toes a little when pushing on in steeper terrain.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Almost identical in design to Kahtoola microspikes available in the USA. I have been using them for 4 years now and can recommend them strongly. Not quite crampons for scaling an ice wall, but really good on snow/ice covered mountain (or woodland) trails. I was using them on Cannon mountain last weekend. Trails in the White mountains will be ice/snow covered from now until march/April. So they get a good workout. Mine have stood up to quite a lot of use with no reduction in capability.
Just saw Teepee's comment. Maybe it's because I use fairly soft boots, but I have never had mine slip. Have to agree that the more forward position of the lead spikes looks as if it would be an improvement over Kahtoolas

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Almost identical in design to Kahtoola microspikes available in the USA. I have been using them for 4 years now and can recommend them strongly. Not quite crampons for scaling an ice wall, but really good on snow/ice covered mountain (or woodland) trails. I was using them on Cannon mountain last weekend. Trails in the White mountains will be ice/snow covered from now until march/April. So they get a good workout. Mine have stood up to quite a lot of use with no reduction in capability.
Just saw Teepee's comment. Maybe it's because I use fairly soft boots, but I have never had mine slip. Have to agree that the more forward position of the lead spikes looks as if it would be an improvement over Kahtoolas

The Kahtoolas and yaktrak pros where the other options available and both seem to get good reviews when I was looking online. It fact I'd argue that it would be difficult to differentiate between them in terms of function as all three sets of spikes look so similar.

Orric

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

I think you are right PDA, I don't get the slipping with softer soled footwear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE