review on dragons breath flint +steel

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv bought one of john fenna's dragons breath flint and steel kits the other day
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30865&highlight=flint+steel
believe me, you are getting your moneys worth. the moment the kit arrived there were sparks everywhere, as i opened the pouch the kit comes in, there was a glow inside like in a fairy tail. For £7 you are getting much more than what the picture shows that john put up. To be honest befor i got the kit, i thought that i was gonna get a little broken file, small bits of flint, one peace of char cloth, some birch polypore fungus and a small pouch to store it in. BUT instead i got a CHUNKY bit of file thats gonna last forever and throws out starks better than the C shapped steel you can bye from ebay, plus its great to handle and you dont need to use the sharp edge of the flint to get sparks, it works on any part of the flint. i also got 3 CHUNKY bits of flint and a hand full of CHUNKY bits of birch polypore fungus, he even but a cramp ball in there which is not in his ad. theres enough charcloth in the kit to get through about 10 fires and the pouch that comes wiith the kit is really nice, you can store much more in there if you wanted, i got a black pouch which matches my sheath.
If you are looking for a flint and steel set, bye this one it 100% worth your money, if you allready have a dragons breath kit then you should have a hi five from me.
Good work john best £7 iv spent in a long time.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I also bought one of these kits and was suitably impressed with it. I had a quick play on it, but as I bought it for my good friend Scruff as a present I haven't had a real good go on it! Scruff likes it though, he has started a few fires when out and about with it, and he's getting really good with it. He's bought me loads of little presents over time, I thought it was worth getting him something he would use a lot and get pleasure from using too. I know we don't give to receive, but it is worth getting somebody who has gotten you a gift one in return, it makes a friendship stronger, and one of Johns' kits is as good a gift as any for a potential backwoodsman to receive!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am glad you like it!
I should point out that sizes, shapes and colours vary - some of the steels are larger than others and if I am out of certain bits (such as cramp balls, birch bark etc) then you do not get 'em - just the basic stuff in the photo!:)
And supply is limitted as I have trouble finding decent steel!

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
john im gonna have a go at making a knife out of some old files, would you like the off cuts from them to ad to some kits

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Would I!?
As long as I can have them before you anneal the steel and it is still hard (I have no facilities for super hardening annealed steel) - I would love them!
Many , many thanks for the offer:You_Rock_

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
cool, it wont be for a while yet, as soon as i find the time to get started on the knife, il send cut offs to ya

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE