Review of Wisport Reindeer 75L Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Hey all,
After looking at one of these for my new bergen i had trouble finding reviews for them. As they are made in Poland not many people seem to have one over here.
There is another review here by a member (Monsterbeetle) http://urbanvalleyrednecks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/wisport-reindeer-75l-review.html

I thought i would add my own thoughts now i have it in my possession.

Where to start..........
It looks very well made and sturdy, made from 1000D Cordura and well stitched.
It says it weights 2300g but my scale says more like 2750g.

It has a semi floating lid with 2 pockets, a small one outside (2L) and a much larger internal pocket (3-4L).
I say semi floating as it has the straps to be able to pull it down equally but also has a small flap with a velcro attachment at the rear that allows it to act as a hinged lid.

It has a main pouch that is around 60L, this pouch has a draw cord about 1/3 the way up to split it in two like the Lowe Alpine Saracen to help keep bits of kit separate. This piece also seems to be wateproof to keep wet and dry things apart.
The main pouch Also has a draw cord closure with a storm flap that will probable equate to 15L of extra space if you had it fully extended.
The bottom is accessed with a semi circular double zip.

The 2 side pouches (appx 9L each) are clipped on with 4 clips i have never seen before so dont know the name, but acts like a grimlok. see pics below
They are accessed by way of a side release clip and they also have a draw cord storm flap closure underneath.

The back of this bergen has a fully adjustable height system by way of some webbing straps to make adjustment, the shoulder straps are padded 'S' shape and the waist belt is also padded with air mesh.
It come with a chest strap to aid with the weight and strap placement.
The straps and padding are all very comfortable.

There are also 3 rows of molle on the front for pouch attachment, and top and bottom adjustable webbing with side release clips to mount thing to the outside (tarp or chair etc)

Ok then now for my thought on the bad bits.

The side pouches are too small for a start, no where near the size you get on normal military bergens and the storm flap gets in the way a bit when using them.
The clips they are attached with dont seem very sturdy at all, and would have much preferred a zip like the others.

The back adjustment system only has webbing at the bottom for adjustment, while this works very well i have found a flaw.
If you move the bergen about with the shoulder straps these webbing buckles work lose very quickly and you then have to re adjust them. This could have been overcome with some way of clipping the straps or even matching straps on the top of the bergen to really hold it tight.
Not a major problem as you can adjust this bergen whilst wearing it.

The zips on the top pockets and on the bottom access point are very small/thin and dont look like they will stand much abuse. Im used to stuffing my bergens with gear and knowing the YKK zips will hold. These dont look like they will withstand the abuse a squaddie will give them.

I dont know and cannot find any info if this bag is waterproof there is no visible layer on the inside like most bergens so my guess is its not.

And being very picky........there is a bit too much webbing hanging off it all over.
All the straps seem to be 6" too long for there intended use.
No bit problem but just a waste of material and more bits to flap in the wind or get caught in bushes.

Here are the pics.

wisport_reindeer_75_MC_1.jpgwisport_raccoon_85_MC_2.jpgwisport_reindeer_75_MC_3.jpg20140131_151923.jpg20140131_151541.jpg

All told, this is a very well made and comfortable bag, there are a few minor flaws in the design but so have most other bergens.
I would have no problems recommending this bag to others.
Its designed to be a crossover between a day sack and bergen and it does this very well.
Anyway hope this helps someone in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the review, I have been looking at the Wisport range with interest. They look well made. I have the same clip on side pouch system on a French army F2 pack. I like it. I am in the market for a new daypack and will certainly bear them in mind. They seem good value for money.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Good review and a pretty acurate description. You can secure 90% of the excess 'loose' straps pretty easily and in the number of times I've used it I've not had a problem with them flapping around or catching on anything although that's certainly a possibility if you're moving through dense woodland or undergrowth.

The side pouches for me are pretty perfect in terms of size although I've not used a issue/army bergen before. I can get my DD 3x3, integral single ground cloth (why it's called a cloth I don't know although it packs up very small so maybe that's why), cordage, a few pegs and my pillow in one and my cookset plus a separate mug, in the other.

It does look like the inside has some sort of waterproof coating but again I've not used an issue job so can't compare. I'd say it would certainly hold out for a while. In fact I think I'm going to pack mine up and spray it with a hose to find out. Be interesting to know how well it does.

I agree that the bottom compartment has a rather small zipped entrance but I don't find stuffing my SnugPak Sleeper Extreme in there to be a major struggle.

The clips that hold the side pouches on are in my opinion, crap. It seems a bad design for a start and also the fact that they're stitched in means even if you could find a spare one you couldn't replace it. I broke one within the first hour of playing with it. Using a small carabina as a replacement works better IMO.

As for the back adjustment system I've also not had a problem with that. Although I've not had it that long I have used it a number of times, hiked 20km with close to 20kg and I didn't need to make any further adjustments.

All in all I think it's a great bag and has replaced my older Osprey 70l which has to say something.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Well i actually took it out today to give it a test and figure out the back system.
Its very comfortable but there are a few tweaks that could have been done to make it much better.
The side pouches are even smaller when the main pack is full as it pushes out sideways and presses on them making the thing inside even more difficult to put in/out.
And being a short stumpy bugger, with the back adjusted nearly to the bottom, the shoulder straps when pulled tight on the top are nearly totally over my shoulder, i forgot my phone so could not get pics.
but that could be sorted easily with a line of stitching to stop the top adjuster pulling so far back on the strap.
As for the zips on the bottom pouch, i have already made the teeth skip and have now decided to not use it and keep it closed.
That may be because its quite stuffed but it should be able to take it seeing as it was made for soldiers!!!!

But despite its short comings i still love it and with a few tweaks it will be a very very good bergen for the money.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Yeah I love the pack TBH.

Agreed about the side pouches pushing inwards. I just pack these first and then the main. Seems to make it a bit easier.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Wisport sell them on there website but it lools a right pain to put them on as the loops are sewn in.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Wisport sell them on there website but it lools a right pain to put them on as the loops are sewn in.

Any chance of posting a link? I'm obviously blind!

The clips that come with the pack are sewn on, yes. To replace them you'd have to buy the Siamese slik clips which open at both sides otherwise you're right, you'd have to sew them in which is more trouble than it's worth.

image-2.jpg

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Aahhh they only sell the original type that will need sewn.
Can you link me in to those double ones please.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Nice review, thanks.

I've noticed the measurements are 65x36x32cm for the 75L Reindeer you have and the 55L Hunt pack.

Would you be able to have a rough measure out of the size of your 75L at all please? I'm deciding between that and the 55L..

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE