Request for help nr Winchester end of June

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Hope this is not posted in the wrong section, at the end of June I will be taking my scouts to Pinsent campsite near Winchester for a very and I mean very basic survival camp.
Now the scouts are not used to the countryside apart from the local bike track in the small wood by the estate they live in.
Apart from skinning and cooking rabbit and a bit of nettle soup I would like them to do a bit of forraging. My own personal skills in forraging are extremely minimal and I would certainly not be confident to carry out a foraging lesson.

So this is where my request for help comes in, is there any experienced forragers who may be able to spend a Saturday with the lads to help them find some dinner.
Chances are some will not eat any of it unless it loks and tastes like a chicken nugget but the idea is to give them experience in something they would never normally take part in.
I have a very small troop so the camp would probably only have about eight scouts attending.

Thanks for reading and any advice offered :)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Thanks for looking, I'll keep a very basic setup to get by
Start with nettle soup, nice and simple.
Main course will be rabbit and pigeon just need to decide what to put with it.
I'm going to look at a variation to bannock bread as a base for breakfast then let them add egg, bacon etc to it.

Will be good to see the experiment with different cooking ideas.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Thanks for the reply, the main day of the camp is on 30th June.
The Friday evening is setting up and building their shelters with the Sunday packing up the camp and leaving it as if we had not been there.
I do not know the area too well for walking but Farley Mount is fairly near and should only be a short walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE