Removing broken spade handle

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
This is how I do it:

7ED220A7-F538-4F7B-A101-DFAB15C15B11.jpg

Drill down as far as possible and as much as you can. Then fill with paraffin & enjoy a little flickering candlelight...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thing is. Went to the local hardware shop today & a replacement handle is almost as much as a new shovel. With the work involved in fitting it, I might not bother with the other two I've snapped!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thing is. Went to the local hardware shop today & a replacement handle is almost as much as a new shovel.

It's a sad state of affairs when a new item is as cheap as a repair (not including your own time)

That said, the spade you show looks to be a decent heavy duty item, with a closed socket for the handle. Some cheaper modern tools are more lightly constructed with an open socket - these won't be as good.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thing is. Went to the local hardware shop today & a replacement handle is almost as much as a new shovel. With the work involved in fitting it, I might not bother with the other two I've snapped!

You could have a go at making your own, before Ash die back kills every remaining tree we have (according to an article on R4 today...we're doomed, doomed I tell ye!)
Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Its a sad state for the Ash tree.

Yeah, I know. But it was not helped by the guy they interviewed who was on about a secondary threat that has not yet arrived here...he seemed wholly focused on the doom and gloom with no thoughts of solutions and no balancing interview with a solution orientated person to follow up.
Pardon me for being a bit tongue in cheek in my previous post.

Rob.

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
You could have a go at making your own, before Ash die back kills every remaining tree we have (according to an article on R4 today...we're doomed, doomed I tell ye!)
Rob.
Couple of weeks back on countryfile they ere showing about ash dieback and they seem to be curing it with biochar and an air hoe. So far they seem to have very successful results, although there is further research needed it may not be all doom and gloom for Fraxinus Excelsior just yet :)

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE