Reflections on Ullswater

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, one Mad River Reflection 15 and a Nova Craft SP3 Prospector actually.

After the gales we've been putting up with, on and off, for the last couple of weeks or so, myself and and my mate Brian scrutinised the forecasts and chose Friday for our latest paddle and my first outing in the new boat.

We set off about 7.45am and arrived about 9.10am ish to be met with a glass like lake.

We parked up and set about unloading the boats, Brian in covert mode;

Once I took the black tape off, Brian found it much easier to untie the knots on the bonnet ropes
whistle.gif

Poppy the springer, loves the water and is perfectly happy in the boat.

I like the new boat, compared to almost everything else I've paddled, it goes where it's put with far less effort required. Much easier to keep straight, yet still easy to steer.

Not sure about the hat though!
nice_hat.gif

We headed over to Howtown, with barely a ripple on the surface most of the time, apart from the wake from the ferries. Then we set off down the lake, waving back at the walkers who waved and "yoo-hooed" occasionally, some of them even taking photo's of us( probably turn up on crime watch, but what can you do?
rolleyes.gif
)

We arrived at Kailpot to find half of the "harbour" underwater

This view never fails to impress me, the approach to Silver Bay

We pulled into Silver Bay for lunch and apart from a couple walkers, had the place to ourselves

This boat might just prove to be a keeper. We'll just have to see but it's nice to look at, paddles extremely well, is just big enough for what I have planned, as far as canoe camping trips go and still just big enough to accommodate a passenger if need's be.

Then after 45mins or so, we packed up and carried on down the lake, taking a look at Side Farm campsite, which was almost deserted and then had a look up Goldrill Beck, making it a good bit further up than usual,due to the level being about 4ft higher than normal, before turning round and drifting back down onto the lake. There was a fair bit of flooding in the fields too.
[video=youtube;rH7LpA0zDDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7LpA0zDDc&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ&index=2[/video]

For some reason, I pretty much stopped taking photo's on the way back up and ended up with a load of video. anyway we pulled in to Purse point to rig my sail, as there was a bit of breeze that had sprung up, but it only lasted about ten minutes and so we just paddled slowly back up the lake.

One of the last photo's of the day I think, not sure where it was taken now

Another great day out and well chuffed with the new boat.

Cheers

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics Steve, looks like you picked the right day for it.

Happy new boat too, is the search finally over?

Shame about the colour ;)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think for an open water boat, it'll do nicely. In fact, it was pretty nimble up and down goldrill beck too, very responsive.

The key points are; it's light enough to be lugged around by myself when required.
It's faster than the NC Prospector or Mad River Explorer.
From the couple of hours experience of the Pal and Bob Special Ive had, It's nicer to paddle, although it does lack the better quality of fittings that Nova Craft offer.

The colour?

Well there are certainly worse colours, just look at some of the Apache's or Outlanders and don't get me started on the 'snake river' "vagazzle" colour schemes and finishes!:rolleyes:
Red and green are okay but I think if I had the choice I'd go burgundy myself.

"Sand" will do nicely for the now;)

Just trying to decide where next, given the sketchy weather again!

cheers

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE