Red In Tooth And Claw

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
We went out for a short stroll at twilight last night.
All day it had been one of those days where you think it's going to rain but it never does, so you end up wasting the whole day.
But whimsy took hold and we decided we'd go out for a walk at sunset and grab a bag of sausage and chips on the way home for tea!
There ain't nothing like a chippy tea.

You know when you've made the right decision, eh?
Although it hadn't rained during the day it was clear it was psyching up for a rainy evening.
(sorry about the picture quality - all I had on me was a mobile phone)

33102048262_6c6609b10b_c.jpg

It was only a short walk, not even a mile, and as we crossed a field I saw something sitting on a post. 'Probably just a buzzard', I thought. Then as we got closer I could see it was a very pale colour. It was obvious what it was - a barn owl! I managed to get one quick picture as it took off:

33257856475_e20d62652a_c.jpg

And then the sky as we neared home, and the sun lowered. Almost neon...

33102048392_120995359d_c.jpg

And it did finally rain. Just as we walked up the garden path the first few drops started failing. Well timed.

Isn't the world a magnificent place? It seems we spend a lot of time seeking the remote and wilderness, and it blinds us from seeing what the universe is doing just outside our own door.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Great post........lot to be said for spur of the moment walks :) Good pics too - especially of the owl

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sounds like a great bimble and getting to see the barn owl was a real bonus. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

As for the pictures they're great and don't forget that one of the themes for the photo competition is pictures taken on mobile phones :)

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
i went for a cycle last weekend. it was getting dark and a barn owl ended up flying beside me using my light as it shone on the hedgerows.

must of been alongside for about 5 mins.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Magnificent photo of the owl. Unforgettable face on those birds. Thank you.

I have hunted the main logging road in the Bowron River valley for 40 years. Productive.
Twice, driving out & down hill, just as the light gets too bad to shoot, I have seen a flicker in the light above the top edge of my windshield.
Hugging the steering wheel, I saw that I had a BIG owl, windsurfing in the slip-stream above my head. I'll guess 40kph, depending on road conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE