Red Deer bones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Bone yard

Boneyard.jpg

A selection for Mace242

Selection.jpg

Wolf Man I can rake round for femur's for you.

If you happy to cover the P&P then I will try to get some in the post next week, will let you know the postage is.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
That's an excellent selection - I'm already thinking of projects ant I've not even got my hand on them. PM me when you need postal details, etc. Thanks loads. It's things like this that remind me what an excellent bunch we are...

ScoobySnacks

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2012
Berkshire
Not a gralloch site, or at least unlikely. The gralloch is normally done on the hill and traditionally only involves the removal of the green offal. Removal of the pluck (lungs, liver and kidneys) is normally done at some kind of larder.

This looks like a dumping ground for larder waste, all the heads and legs, and also some butchery waste (rib bones etc.)

Having said that, I've only seen one site like that before, and it was where the land owner used to drop off the odd carcass to entice the White Tailed Sea Eagles in. There was a camera set up to record them feeding. The birds remove the meat, and the pine martens and other small/medium mammals finish off what the eagles leave.

On closer inspection I'm going for a waste tip. I can't see any evidence of spinal bones or pelvises, only the leg bones, skulls and those few ribs. Could be that a few deer have been butchered, perhaps ones too damaged to go to the game dealer, hence the ribs.

Of course I could be totally wrong on all counts!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi SS,

Don't suppose any of those leg bones have a wall thickness of 12mm or more?

If so a mate of mine is looking for something like that fpr a project

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - that is a fair few bones!
I would be interested in a few nice long straight leg bones if that is OK :)
Let me know when you are ready and I will send you up some P&P
Many thanks for this :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE