Recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
Hi

Am looking into buying a new digital camera. Want to go a step up from the "point and shoot" types but not as advanced as a DSLR.

Basically we want, relatively easy to use, minimal Lag time, good length zoom (min x10). SWMBO is into equestrian sports so would like to be able to take action pics. We have a budget of upto £400.

The models we are currently considering are:-

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28
Lumix TZ7
Canon Powershot SX10 IS

Any experiences/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I just bought a Canon Powershot SX10 IS on British Red's recommendation.

I must say that its the bits and pieces, it has the most fantastic zoom for a camera of its class and is completely controlable.

I got a mega deal from Jessops, £240! I had the manager in tears mind you, but I won in the end.

Go get one, you wont be sorry.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Matt, I've got a Panasonic Lumix TZ2 which is an earlier version of the TZ7. I really like it and it has produced some good results. One of its best features is the extra wide angle Leica lens equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm camera and the zoom which is 280mm. Actually, I don't think they're made by Leica but under license. Either way, it is a damn good lens with very little distortion at either end of the zoom.

I'll bring it along to our next get together so you can have a look and a play.

Martin :)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Older Fuji S5000 for me, when it becomes and ex camera, I'd get another. Burst shoots frames of 5 as well so good for action shots. Not sure what the latest fuji model is.

Cheers,

Alan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have the Sx10IS and I must say its a stunning camera. The G10 is also great and gives you slightly morearitstic control in that it supports RAW but at the cost of the 20x zoom (G10 only has 5x IIRC)

What do I like?

It has manual focus if required (handy for that "bird in tree" moment or pre foucusing when the horse is going over jumps!)

Full control of exposure (aperture and shutter priority and full manual control - so you can depth of field control of blurry bakcgrounds etc.)

A variety of metering modes (handy for the indoor school etc.)

Very good camera - I have an SLR but use this one more these days

Red

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
Many thanks for all the replies, even more confused now lol :lmao:

I'm leaning towards the Canon and SWMSBO the FZ28. But then there's the Fugi :confused:

thanks again

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE