Recommendations for inexpensive GPS units that work in woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 25, 2017
Bromsgrove,UK
Hi all

Looking for some advice please.
We are looking for an inexpensive GPS unit we can use to waypoint shots (We are setting an archery course for a national tournament and need to track the route through the woodland and positions of targets)
Any recommendations or experience.

I've been recommended Viewranger app for phone but phone signal in area is very poor
Thanks

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You do not need a phone signal to use View Ranger. None at all. The maps are downloaded to the phone. All you need is for the phone GPS to work.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
My Garmin Etrex 20x seems to work in woodland, provided I get a satellite fix out in the open before I enter the cover

Probably depends on the thickness of the woodland as well

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Garmin foretrex 401 - the king amongst GPS units. Never had a problem with tree cover with it, and it's fast (certainly a lot faster than my very old etrex) to get a fix from cold. the price varies dramatically if you shop around.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Ive got an old etrex H thqat was good in the woods and bought a etrex 20x after the Etrex H stopped communicating with my PC. I really like the Etrex 20x with toalkytoaster UK map installed. great for geocaching.

you might consider the etrex 10 if you need the very basic features.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

+1 Fortrex 401,

I've used them for years operational/evidence and for recreation.

As Allan stated, calibrating a GPS (position AND altitude) before going into woodland makes for better accuracy within.

In the brown season - limited/no leaf cover, I regularly achieve < 3m accuracy, almost as often as in the open.

During the green season, use of the satelite screens for best receive direction and moving to less dense areas to get a sat update/fix and they are still quite accurate.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Would a map not be better?
I used to set up civilian comps for handguns, and needed to know elevations and human habitation downrange.
Same in the army, but for different guns and weapons.
I think you call the best maps Ordnance maps or similar?
GPS maps are not 100% accurate I find.

Last edited:

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I had an etrex vista Hcx and it was totally crap in woods. Bought and old GPSMAP 60CX on eBay and it's great in the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Would a map not be better?
I used to set up civilian comps for handguns, and needed to know elevations and human habitation downrange.
Same in the army, but for different guns and weapons.
I think you call the best maps Ordnance maps or similar?
GPS maps are not 100% accurate I find.
Ordenance Survey maps Janne.

And i agree with using maps too , but i think in this instance a good GPS is very useful.
Especially for the less experienced navigators in that field archery comp.

Thank you to the OP and C. Claycombe for the viewranger phone app tip .&#128077;
Never even knew it existed ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE