Recommend (UK) Camping Locations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I've not been much of a traveller, I've crossed the channel twice and thats about it! Im looking for recommendations on beautiful places to camp in the UK mainland. Im looking for specific places, I understand some people like to keep certain spots quiet and thats fine, but if you are willing to share the enjoyment of a place please do.

Ideally im looking for places that will match most of the following;
  • Within the UK Mainland (ie. a drive away)
  • Rivers or Lakes nearby
  • Woodland nearby
  • Suitable for well managed camp-fires
  • If posible I would rather not be on a campsite (busy-area)

Now I've heard of lovely places like the New Forest, Lake District, Peak District, Brecon Beacons etc. and so far I havent had an oppertunity to visit any of them (yet). I would love to learn what people think of those different areas; what are their unique or good points, im also looking for recommendations on specific sites to camp within those areas. I live down in the south-west, so closer would be better but im willing to travel on this one.

So for someone who hasnt visited any of the above mentioned beautiful places I suppose the (probably unanswerable) question is.. which is the best? :rolleyes: and why?

Thanks for your time and help.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
not sure if its to far away but i know of two in suffolk
1. wissington, its on a working farm and campfires are allowed as are dogs
2. not sure what its called but it is in wickham market, campfires and dogs are allowed, you can also sling a hammock here and there is also a river running through the bottom
leon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This is where we went the weekend

http://www.glynymulfarm.co.uk/

It is a campsite, but the owner has woodland away from the main site he is happy for you to use, no problem with fires and dogs are welcome. He will also open in the closed season for you if you give the guy a ring

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Thanks for the recommendations folks.
Scots_Charles_River said:
North of Glasgow and Dundee/Perth there is a lot of lochs and camping, hammocking and wilderness.
Yeah, me and a friend have heard of a lot of nice lochs up in Scottland, we're looking for recommendations on specific places if you could.

rik_uk3 said:
This is where we went the weekend
http://www.glynymulfarm.co.uk/
It is a campsite, but the owner has woodland away from the main site he is happy for you to use, no problem with fires and dogs are welcome. He will also open in the closed season for you if you give the guy a ring
Sounds great! We'll check that one out. You say the owner has woodland away from the mainsite that he's happy for you to use, do you know if he lets you camp within the woodland? Is there suitable trees on site for a tarp/hammock?
KAE1 said:
Lots of good camp sites along the river wye (Hereford/Monmouth)
http://www.mountainandwater.co.uk/wyeroute.htm
I'll check that out too, thanks!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nightwalker said:
Thanks for the recommendations folks.
Yeah, me and a friend have heard of a lot of nice lochs up in Scottland, we're looking for recommendations on specific places if you could.

Problem with that is these places get publicised and get litter strewn etc.
eg I was at a cracking spot in Glen Kinglass, between Glencoe and Loch Etive, 1hrs walk from the rd head. No one else there. No civilisation.
It gets a little bit of litter but is wild enough.

Browse the blogg section of SOTP for ideas. Also get an OS map, or google earth and look for isolated glens and bays a few miles form a rd head and buildings.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE