Recommend a Camera Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Anyone recommend a camera bag. Mainly for storing and transporting. Has to house, EOS 500D with standard lens, Tamron zoom lens, charger, spare batteries, manual, cleaning and general small bits and bobs. Budget up to about £60, give ot take a bit.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
i'd recommend a lowepro bag, I have a dres 30 aw and have had it for the last 3-4 years going everywhere with me including fishing and it has held up extremely well, you'd probably need something a little larger than mine but they have a massive range.

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Products,1.htm as usual no connection with them, just a very satisfied customer.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For my main bag I use a Lowepro Reporter 400AW and fit two EOS bodies, 100-400, 17-85 and a 10-20 lenses plus all the extras. But I can (just) squeeze the same gear into my Lowepro Rover AW II (a rucsack style) with room for my sandwiches and binos in the top! They're not cheap but very good.

Cheers,

Broch

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Hi there
As a professional photographer for over 20 years I have always used Domke bags. For years I had the original F2 bag for my full kit, but since I've moved to shooting video my photo kit has been reduced to a Canon 30D and three lenses plus flash. All this fits nicely in the Domke F3 bag.... It's the second one I've owned after the first got stolen in Spain after 10 years service. For your gear I'd hightly recommend these excellent bags.
cheers
Gareth

Billingham are great and quite "Bushy" if you go for an original canvas version, but unless you find a real bargain on ebay etc they will blow your budget.
Can't remember the brand but I did recently see a Pelicase style solid roller case which had an in-built rucksack style camera bag. So roll it around to and from car / airport, then pull out the inner and chuck it on your back when you reach your location.
Tenba have some very good products these days, def worth a look at their website.

garethw

Settler
Billinghams are great if rather expensive bags.. but have too much padding for a run and gun bag.. The first bag I got back in 1980 was a Billingham and is what I use for my video gear now, but for one body and a couple of lenses most are too big.
The best bit about the Domke's is that once the gear is out the flatten to your body.. the Billingham is a large bag (even the small ones) empty. Also I prefer the look of the Domke.. looks less "camera-bag-rob-me" to my mind. The Domke was designed during Vietnam by an American snapper based on paramedic bags. It 's been a huge hit with news photographers for 30 years, as a simple no nonsense shooting bag.
Cheers
Gareth

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had my Nikon D3 outfit in a Crumpler bag which was superb. Great build quality at a reasonable price.

I would avoid the rucksack types as you have to either swing them around yourself or take them off to change lenses or faff around.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Great, thanks chaps, just been looking at lowepro 202AW, just over £40 on amazon. Anyone got one? Does it go over left or right shoulder?

I have a £60 budget! Please don't tempt me with any more £300 bags.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE