Recent day hike = great fiber salvage

Dec 27, 2008
Arizona
Greetings! I bring news from my latest day hike within the base of the Mogollon Rim. Previous hikes had temped me to collect the decayed Agave leaves, however this trip I did collect a nice portion of the Agave fibers. This material was taken from within the Tonto National forest region, and consist of a couple various species of Agave. All material was salvages from the trail from long dead Agave. No processing has been done as of yet.

bundle.PNG

I will keep the thread updated and post new photos of the process and cordage made.

needle.png

A little surprise!

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Hey, the Mogollon Rim and the Tonto, I spent a little time there, up top. (David Attenborough voiceover) Here, in the American Southwest you'll find the largest continuous Ponderosa Pine forest,,,in the world.
Maybe it's just North America, anyway it's pretty big.

Sonoran Rat you're right next door, thanks for the pics.:)

Dec 27, 2008
Arizona
climberslacker: I just dropped the first sample into some tap water for a few hour soak. I will then separate the fibers pinch by pinch, removing the larger papery flake or inner cork like material.

Bravo4: Great to hear i have neighbors! I hope to see you around the trails and maybe exchange some know how.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Bravo4: Great to hear i have neighbors! I hope to see you around the trails and maybe exchange some know how.

Sounds good, don't forget the sunscreen;) I rode my bicycle along the Mogy Rim up thru Flagstick to Moab some years back. Great trip, loved the Mogollon Plateau, i wax nostalgic...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE