Reccognizing Rip Currents

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The weather's warming back up and it's almost time to head back to the beach so I thought this might be appropriate. Mind, the pic is simplified but it does give a basic understanding of the currents that can carry an unwary swimmer out to sea.

10994159_10152806850851716_2389347348528234406_n.jpg

10392335_10152806850841716_5588378708159423725_n.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Good pic

You can also get hidden rip current where there is a spit of land (natural or artificial).

Any place where the waves are coming in at an angle to the shore, there will be a general current along the shore. If there is then a rock groin or sandspit, you will get a strong current heading out to sea.

The really really important thing about rip currents is to recognise the direction of flow of the current and swim at 90degrees to it. Very few people can outswim a rip current, trying to do so will just exhaust you and may well end up with a fatality.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I know from personal use, they're really useful as a conveyor taking surfers and kayakers out to sea with little effort. They're not always the easiest to see but the above examples are exactly right. Also, if a river or stream flows into the sea it will cause an undercurrent very much like a 'rip' when the tide is advancing .

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
If you recognise you are in one, I was taught to swim diagonally towards the shore to expedite clearing the rip, never had to try it, so would be great if anyone could refute or confirm the case.
Also it might be a good time to dig this little gem up about drowning, particularly if you're with children near water.

http://gcaptain.com/drowning/?10981

Rob.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yes, from being caught in a mild one, swimming across it parallel to the shore and not fighting it is the way, once you are out you can head for shore.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you recognise you are in one, I was taught to swim diagonally towards the shore to expedite clearing the rip, never had to try it, so would be great if anyone could refute or confirm the case.
Also it might be a good time to dig this little gem up about drowning, particularly if you're with children near water.

http://gcaptain.com/drowning/?10981

Rob.
You can't really judge the angle of flow by the shore, it's vitally important to swim at 90degrees to the rip current.

If the rip is forming alongside something solid like a groyn or spit of land, swim at 90degrees to that.

For the sort of rip shown in santaman's pictures, you'll notice that it is forming at 90degrees to the waves - so swim along the waves.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You can't really judge the angle of flow by the shore, it's vitally important to swim at 90degrees to the rip current.

If the rip is forming alongside something solid like a groyn or spit of land, swim at 90degrees to that.

For the sort of rip shown in santaman's pictures, you'll notice that it is forming at 90degrees to the waves - so swim along the waves.

This is as I was taught also.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
I grew up in Durban South Africa was a life gaurd in my teens and a dedicated surfer "beech bum" i can confirm swimming sideways or at a angle back to shore is safest also aleart the life gaurds sooner rather than later, i mean by that as soon as you realise you in trouble and still have energy. Yes i said sideways as costal shaw shapes are varied ie coves.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I grew up in Durban South Africa was a life gaurd in my teens and a dedicated surfer "beech bum" i can confirm swimming sideways or at a angle back to shore is safest also aleart the life gaurds sooner rather than later, i mean by that as soon as you realise you in trouble and still have energy. Yes i said sideways as costal shaw shapes are varied ie coves.

So my instruction was not entirely incorrect then, good to know. :)

Rob.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
I was always taught to corkscrew out of it. Back on to front then onto back to the nearest side then head back to shore staying well clear
Not sure what you mean by this but sounds bad advice NEVER try swim agains a rip current. If you mean swim at a angle and if you tier flip on to you back to rest as you can float on you back prehaps. But befor you try anything if lifeguards are patroling alert them to your distress first.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE