Reasonable knife for salt water environment

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Im currently at the beach on holiday with the kids, we have had a fine time fishing,snorkeling, rock pooling and eating BBQ. any how my usual hack knife for this type of trip is either a clipper or a gerber big rock both work fine but both corrode pretty quickly which is not surprising as neither are really designed for a true salt water environment.

So my question is if I wanted to spend say $150 nz on a fixed or folding blade that is half decent and is pretty corrosion proof does any one have any suggestions....

Cheers
John

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Southey,

Had. Quick look on Helle's website the Brakar has a birch handle is that the same as the one you had?? I'm not sure that would last to well immersed in salt water...?????

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hultafors Crafsman in Stainless http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Hultafors-Knives/Hultafors-Craftsmans-Blue-Stainless/p-92-913-6868/, i have one of these that i have been using for a year or more in a salt water environment (English Channel) and apart from a bit of light surface rust where i have not washed it off since the last trip down the beach it's done fine, the surface rust comes off really easily with a bit of wire wool, ive gutted fish with it, whittled driftwood, prised off Limpets from rocks (in Cornwall that not here) and it's done fine

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Spyderco do a number of knives in H1 - may run a bit more expensive than $150 but worth looking into. Think there's the Catcherman and also a fixed blade out there somewhere too.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Spyderco do a number of knives in H1 - may run a bit more expensive than $150 but worth looking into. Think there's the Catcherman and also a fixed blade out there somewhere too.

Just what I was about to say!

I have the Atlantic Salt living on my PFD used for Kayak fishing in both fresh and salt, never maintained just checked over and theres no trace of my neglect! I got the H1 ladybug too to forget about for the same reasons.

But for the cost you could get a ton of those nasty plastic things everyone likes and not get precious about them:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE