Re-Wet forming?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Is it alright to re-wet form a leather knife sheath? Or will this damage any part of it? Will it lose its colour or something like that?

May sounds like a bit of a stupid question to some of you more experienced leather-workers!

Thanks for the help!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Interesting question, iv recently bought a mora clipper leather sheath and it doesn't quite fit the robust, so I too am interested to no if it can be re formed.

Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Wrap the knife in cling film, soak the leather,press the contours of the knife in sheath. Leave in a warm place until leather is dry.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
There's no reason a sheath can't be re-wet formed. You'll have to remove any waxes or oils first though so as to able to soak the leather & there's always the risk of water stains developing. If the original dye was alcahol based then it may run & fade a little too.
The only issue I can see is if you want to reform the sheath made for a large knife into one for a smaller knife. (or vice versa)

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thanks for the help guys. It is for the same knife so I can't see it being much of a problem. I was just concerned if there would be any potential side effects (so to speak)..

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE