Sold Ray mears Wilkinson sword bushcraft knife for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveHig

May 8, 2022
Greater Manchester
FOR SALE is my Ray mears Wilkinson sword bush craft knife. After a brief search I can only find one other like mine for sale on Dartmoorknife.co.uk and they are listing it as a rare pre 2005 knife and it’s £799. Mine looks in better condition hardly ever used and just stored in a drawer so it’s time to pass on to someone who will appreciate it. £750 inc postage Royal Mail next day recorded or cash/transfer on collection . Greater Manchester
48710CBD-21D5-46B9-BBBB-704625F5E30B.jpeg

85DA2AF4-9455-4830-8ECF-611457B3B353.jpeg

9C0782C9-02C7-44A4-8DFB-6F061785E8FF.jpeg

376279C1-F114-4CE3-845A-135F308E4713.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveHig

May 8, 2022
Greater Manchester
Is this price on Dartmoor a true reflection on value for these knife these days ? I know it was £500 originally. Are they as rare as the site is making out ? Anyone ??

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think its called profiteering, the Alan Wood version sold for hundreds and good/rare examples can go for considerably more, the Wilkie Sword version was a lot less, i bought mine direct from Ray Mears for £125.00.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I cannot remember the conversation in detail, but a while ago I was talking to a well known knife maker, and he said that there were far more of the Wilkinson sword versions out there than any of the other versions combined, as they were more accessible at the time of production...that chat was in 2015.

Last edited:

DaveHig

May 8, 2022
Greater Manchester
I cannot remember the conversation in detail, but a while ago I was talking well known knife maker, and he said that there were far more of the Wilkinson sword versions out there than any of the other versions combined...that chat was in 2015.

I personally have seen more of the Wilkinson sword versions, as they were cheaper and more accessible at the time of production, compared to now.
It cost £500 originally

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
It’s fine, I was asking about price and if the Dartmoor price I was comparing to was justified as it’s the only other I can find for sale on the net that’s the same
Good luck with the sale, remember it is a sort after knife, and I am sure it will go soon.

My experience is that you get offers via PM and I have often let it go to new homes that will use and appreciate it.

Reactions: DaveHig

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Dartmoor sell the knives on a commission basis(25%) I believe, so the prices can seem a bit inflated, it will find it's own price, it is classed as a collectors item nowadays.

Info only(taken from the Original sales leaflet)
The original price they were made for by Wilkinson before 2005 (before they went out of business) was £95 for the Micarta handled ones, £165 for the wooden handled ones, and the Alan Wood Woodlores were priced at £195. There were slight differences in sizes between the AW and the WS knives.

The dimensions given in Post 2 are wrong for the WS Knife, the thickness of the blade was only 3.6mm thick, the AW Woodlore was 4mm.

Last edited:

DaveHig

May 8, 2022
Greater Manchester
Dartmoor sell the knives on a commission basis(25%) I believe, so the prices can seem a bit inflated, it will find it's own price, it is classed as a collectors item nowadays.

Info only(taken from the Original sales leaflet)
The original price they were made for by Wilkinson before 2005 (before they went out of business) was £95 for the Micarta handled ones, £165 for the wooden handled ones, and the Alan Wood Woodlores were priced at £195. There were slight differences in sizes between the AW and the WS knives.

The dimensions given in Post 2 are wrong for the WS Knife, the thickness of the blade was only 3.6mm thick, the AW Woodlore was 4mm.
Post 2 is a screen shot of the Dartmoor ad I presumed their info would have been correct.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Post 2 is a screen shot of the Dartmoor ad I presumed their info would have been correct.
They have a few things wrong, the thickness of the metal and also the weight, a WS knife with Micarta handle only weighs 186Grams, the AW with obvious wooden handle weighs in at 196grams. You can always measure the one you have and weigh it, although a precision scale is usually needed to get the weight right.
If you message me your email address I will send you a copy of the initial sales leaflet which gives all the dimensions of the three Woodlores at that time, before the SWC and Emberleaf ones.

one other interesting point is that the description refers to the knife having a single bevel, this is also stated on the original sales leaflet, whereas the knife has a double bevel, which would normally mean that there is a bevel on both sides of the blade, as opposed to one side being flat and one side having a bevel, got no idea why they refer to the knife as single bevel.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE