Ray Mears Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Do anyone of you know what kind of shirt Ray Mears is wearing in this picture?

ray_270.jpg

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Vik,

Its a ventile shirt modelled ont he old SAS desert smock and was made for him by a guy called James Locke.

And no you cant buy one. :z:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Dont think its the shirt your after but pop over to Rays site as he is selling a 5.11 Tactical Long Sleeve Shirt.

Its made of canvas cotton so guess its not that one in the picture...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Dont bother with the 5.11 trousers though because on there first night out in the woods the fly popper disintegrated and the seat tore.

and they take forever to dry

I have the shirt too and although i havent put it though its paces yet it seems much better than the trousers

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Does anyone know if there are patterns for similar jackets/smocks on the internet? I'm going to regret this but I fancy having a pop at making one myself - I've used the SAS desert/temperate pattern smocks for work and they are indispensible.

I guess I can use the link earlier to get the material as I don't want a military-style pattern.

The bellows pockets and hoods are probably the best features but they are so versatile. Shame they're so bloody expensive...

Blimey! I've just had a look at the Northpoint site - have you seen the price of ventile material? It's 26.60 quid a metre!!!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Does anyone know if there are patterns for similar jackets/smocks on the internet?
Point north do patterns for head-over type smocks and parka type with bellows pockets. Give them a ring, they are really helpfull...

Blimey! I've just had a look at the Northpoint site - have you seen the price of ventile material? It's 26.60 quid a metre!!!
They (pointnorth) do seconds at about £10. They have some fault.... normaly only small or colour faults. Buy an extra meter just in case ;-)

Ed

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
He was an old friend of Mr MEARS and seems to have packed up working for Woodlore the same time i did.

Jun 24, 2004
Gary said:
Vik,

Its a ventile shirt modelled ont he old SAS desert smock and was made for him by a guy called James Locke.

I think these Ventile smocks are still available from Bison Bushcraft, a friend of mine has one and wears it constantly!!!
Stan :biggthump :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
:wink:
Stan said:
I think these Ventile smocks are still available from Bison Bushcraft, a friend of mine has one and wears it constantly!!!
Stan :biggthump :biggthump
At what, £220, I'd never take it off!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Gary said:
Vik,

Aaahhh! You know, I thought it looked familiar...but it doesn't have the full length zip like on mine (see picture in 'SAS Smocks' post). What is the reason for this? Surely, it's easier to get the jacket on and off without taking it over your head?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE