Ration Pack pate, sort of

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your looking for small tins of pate ala rat pack pate, B&M's are selling 100g ring pull tins of chicken liver spread at 29p a can. The SBD is over a year, the brand is 'Fill Em Up'...not great but the spread itself is fine.

For the interested:

156 calories
Protein 12.4g
Carbs 5g
Fat 9.6g

Its not Foie gras (neither is rat pack pate) but will be fine on rye bread/Matzo cracker or bit of bannock bread.

Ideal for home made rat packs.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's also worth looking in World Food sections for the Polish pâtés. They're cheap and the last one I have in my cupboard is good until 2015, I've probably had it 2 years already!

Come in easy to dispose of foil tins. And smell like posh dog food :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I do like chicken liver pate, always get it as a starter in restaraunts, but whenever you look at the ingredients in any supermarket its got more duck and pork in it than chicken.
Youve got to go to bloomin delicatessen for real chicken liver pate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I do like chicken liver pate, always get it as a starter in restaraunts, but whenever you look at the ingredients in any supermarket its got more duck and pork in it than chicken.
Youve got to go to bloomin delicatessen for real chicken liver pate.

Nope, you make it at home :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Asda sell the Granose mushroom, olive or vegetable pates for £1. It's a 125g tin.
It comes with a plastic lid to reseal it, and so long as it's kept cold it's fine for a couple of days out. Tastes good too :) and it works not just as a spread but as a good addition to soups and stews or mixes into doughballs (dumplings) as well.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The things I do to edumacate you ;)

I have burrowed into the pantry and the nutritional information per 100g is as follows

Olive pate, 308kcal, protein 8.3g, carbs 6.6g and fats 27.8g
Mushroom, 229kcal, protein 9.6g, carbs 10.6g and fats 16.5g
Vegetable, 227kcal, protein 7.2g, carbs 7.9g and fats 18.5g

Basically it looks like seasoned vegetable oils and herbs wih potato flour and assorted vegetables. Seem to be no sugars and low in salt. Vegan, gluten free too :)
They're pretty good, they last well, they're useful and the tins that come with storage lids are a good thing too.

I know you like your meaty stuff, but a lot of folks avoid heavy animal fat pates. (I have to suss out how to find the blooming alt grav thingie on this Apple) I have to say though that the meat eaters that I've fed this too seemed to like it well enough. Indeed HWMBLT ate almost all of the last can I opened before I had a chance.

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Really mushrooms on toast and a slug of veg oil will give more energy but taste like *****. Perhaps the meat eaters you fed the veggie stuff too are just too polite to vent their true feelings. I'm at a stage in life where I won't entertain vegetarians at home, life for me is too short to try and educate them but I admire you sticking with your slate on food.

On my own tonight so knocked up a quick liver/smoked bacon/onions/mushrooms, fried then cooked off in passata and served on a bed of plain rice...lovely :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, I had steamed brocolli, with braised tofu, toasted pinenuts, and sliced mushrooms sauteeed in a little olive oil, served with poppadums and home made peach chutney :D Himself was out climbing Ben More and finished the bramble and apple crumble when he got home :)

No, the meat eaters are very blunt about veggie food that they think substandard. None of us like the fake meat type stuff. This is just a thick set vegetable spread

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE