Quick question - Hazel spork and butter knife

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I'm going to carve a Hazel spork and butter knife. Are there any tutorials for these utensils? I know how to make most of the spork but is there a good, optimal way to do the tines of the fork to make them sharp enough but also durable? Also, I assume the butter spreading knife is just a very thing piece of wood shaped like any regular household knife? Do you need to make little serrations in it or is a flat edge okay?

It's fine if no such tutorials exist. Nothing wrong with experimentation and I can also eyeball it.

Thank you.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Here are some birch sporks I made a while ago:

Qielxn5l.jpg

If you look, one of them has only 3 tines instead of four. That is because I didn't put in a safety hole to cut to; I got away with it on the other ones but that one split and I had to rework it.

Once you have the rectangle shape for the fork end created then I would view it in the same way as making a comb; drill small holes and work down to them to avoid splits.

Have fun!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Dude check out the little book of whittling, its got a ton of little carving projects which I found really helpful.. But as you said a butter knife is just making a blade on a piece of wood, and there doesnt need to be serrations, but you could always experiment with that..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE