Quick basket(pic heavy)tutorial

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i did the 15 item challenge a few weeks ago,and used the rubbish that others had discarded for containers/basket. So today I was out in the woods and made a container just out of what nature provided.

As I was taking photos as I made it,i thought I would do a wee tutorial.

The wood is green so it will shrink in time,thus making it only a temporary basket and not one which will last for years.

So,you will need 5 flexible branches,another for cordage and some foliage. I used Hazel for the frame and a Willow branch for cordage.

Materials.
basket26800x600.jpg

First off,I took one of the branches and turned it into a hoop.
basket14800x600.jpg

Next I scraped the outer bark off the Willow.
basket23800x600.jpg

Then took the inner bark off.
basket28800x600.jpg

basket22800x600.jpg

Once the inner bark is off,its time to cut it into strips. I whittled a little wedge,which I hammered into a log,then my knife was hammered in next to it.This gives you guide so when cutting your bark,you get even thickness strips.
basket25800x600.jpg

Making strips.
basket800x600.jpg

Next make the left over branches supple,then place them into the hoop,then use the cordage to bind in place.
Branches in place.
basket20800x600.jpg

Then bound and the tops trimmed neat.
basket21800x600.jpg

I added the rest of the branches,and trimmed.What we now have is the basket frame.
basket24800x600.jpg

Now its just a question filling it with the foliage. First I put in some Fern fronds followed by Docken leaves.
basket10800x600.jpg

basket3800x600.jpg

Finished basket.
basket12800x600.jpg

You can use any big leaves,here I used Butterbur.
basket7800x600.jpg

basket9800x600.jpg

And one last pic of it in use. Who said don’t put all your eggs in one basket!!!;)
basket11800x600.jpg

Anyway I hope that makes sense and is of some help.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great little tutorial, thanks for sharing.

i love the little trick of using a wedge as a guide for bark cutting, i've never seen that before, it's always the simple things that seem to impress me the most

stuart

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great post Stuart Cheers. I read about the strip thing in Mors book but good to see it in action.
Handy little basket that.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,thank you for your kind comments.

Stunning stuart...could you elaborate on the branch softening step please?

Red

Hi BR,regarding the branch softening,i basicly just work the branches with my hands,bending them this way and that,you can actually hear the fibres breaking inside.I do the bending gradualy to prevent a kink forming. If you had a fire you could just heat up the branches and mold them to shape,but it can be done without a fire,its just you have to work them more gently.
I hope that makes some sort of sense,its easier doing it rather than putting it into words.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE