Pro dog handlers' leather leads

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've just finished a commission for a number of dog leads for a security company.

They have 3/4" snap links and "O" rings and can be configured in a number of ways. As each lead has two snap links, one at either end, the lead can be used for two dogs. Or, with one snap link clipped onto an O ring (as in the photo) used as a conventional lead. Or, with the snap link fastened to the lower O ring, as a shorter lead. It can also be clipped onto a running line in a kennel situation. Because the handle part is fastened with a snap link, it is easy to clip the lead around a lamp post, bumper, ground ring etc.

sm-lead1.jpg

sm-lead2.jpg

The leather is skived down where two pieces join for a nice smooth transition.

Thanks for looking

Eric

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Although the lead looks very nice, I do find it a bit bizarre a security company would want leather leads in the first place!

For the average dog owner, the ability to tie around a lamp post would be useful, but a definite no no for any security dog, and not to be done under any circumstances.

As per above, they look well crafted, but would be the only leather leads for any professional dog I have ever seen (in a guard/security/attack/sniffer sense).

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Although the lead looks very nice, I do find it a bit bizarre a security company would want leather leads in the first place!

For the average dog owner, the ability to tie around a lamp post would be useful, but a definite no no for any security dog, and not to be done under any circumstances.

As per above, they look well crafted, but would be the only leather leads for any professional dog I have ever seen (in a guard/security/attack/sniffer sense).

I thought the same, but they were ordered by someone from the security company who does work for HMP. Mind you, work is work, so I wasn't going to argue.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
This is what happens when you make assumptions. Although they were ordered by the security person, I've been told they are actually for greyhounds (a sideline I think).

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I have one of these. They are quality. had mine for 5 years at least, and its still good as new.

It enables good control of the dog, in that the length is adjustable, they are comfortable to hold, and its easy to secure the dog to a lampost. Additionally it loops around my neck when the dog's having a run.

The police use something similar

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Eric.
As long as you realise I was not slating your leads, that's OK (just the choice by was was thought to be security use).

I can understand the handlers at Kinloss using them....As they have traditionally had a habit of trying the brain on a chain to the aircraft undercarriage, and then nipping inside the aircraft for a kip (on nights!)

As a bit of thread drift...have any of you ever thought just what a waste of time it is for the RAF to use dogs for guarding (in a wartime context)....
I know they are needed so that one of the pair can read the map etc, but if you were attacking any base, wouldn't you just whack in a bit of chemical agent? The RAFP would don his respirator, and then just be stood next to a dead dog on a lead, that is of no use to anyone!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
in the realms of standard warfare, then upto the point of chemical weapons very useful, after though, some what tainted dog meat on the menu, but in the current war fighting stylee indeispencible.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Great looking leads, used by the British Army as well as the RAF, some civilain Police Forces and numerous overseas Dog Units.

A very strong Lead, can easily hold back a GSD ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE