Primaloft query

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm still trying to get the bits togther I need to make a UQ and TQ for my hammock. I going to use Primaloft One for the fill and I now know where to get it from http://www.extremtextil.de/ but I'm not sure which sort and how much to get. So this is an open question to anyone who has used it for making there own kit.

Which type of Primaloft did you get and how much (how many layers) did you use and what sort of temps do you use that to? I know that each person is differenet when it comes to sleeping and how warm or cold they but it gives me a idea where to start from.

Cheers

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I've used primaloft to make a "body bag" for sitting in cold temps (-25C) for hunting purposes I ended up using the primaloft as well as reflective material and 3 layers of fleece. The primaloft I used was sewn onto a liner so that it was quite easy to use. As you know things like down, primaloft etc. lose most of their effectivness when compressed so using it for an under quilt isn't using it to its best potential. You'd be better if possible with a self inflating mattress under you. I've got one of the new fangled down filled self inflating mattresses and it's comfortable and warm. Failing that I'd go with something that's warm without being compressable like wool, fleece, closed cell foam or even open cell foam in a pinch. I suppose the best of them would be closed cell foam wouldn't it? As far as an over quilt I can tell you that 5inches of down is good to about -20C for me but then I like it warm.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't remember anyone posting a primaloft diy quilt on here, quite a few on HF though and I remember a guy(from finland I think) using some from Extrem to make one.

FWIW, I havent a clue which weight to order, had the same quandary myself last year and chose to buy a bag instead of making a quilt. Its comparible to down in tems of loft/ warmth and I would treat it as equal when you find out what weight equals what loft.

Rayjardine has some good info on diy synth top quilts and he really uses his kit, worth a gander.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE