Price Of Land

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I came across this ad for a horse farm back in Mississippi and thought I'd share it for relative comparisons; and just in case anybody's interested enough to investigate it. I've redacted any contact info so as to not violate any advertising prohibitions. I thought of here because I remembered a previous thread lamenting the high cost of land (Mods please merge this thread into that one if you fell that's more appropriate)

Here's the ad redacted of contact info that would make it still a real advert:

"xxxxx xxxxxx ·

For anyone interested in having your own horse farm! Working horse farm! 43 acres. Complete with a 2BR/1BA apartment (w/ kitchen and living area!), a shop and a 5400 sq ft wired and plumbed barn. Barn is remodeled with 15 stalls and storage. Also features a riding arena! xxx xxxxxxx Rd, Columbus, MS. $219,900

This property is brought to you by Xxxxxx Xxxx, licensed real estate agent with Xxxx-Xxxxx Properties Unlimited, xxxx Hwy xx N, Columbus, MS xxxxx. xxx-xxx-xxxx."

13445524_1327750547252747_389715083126574921_n.jpg

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Mississippi is a vast area. I don't think you can compare it with the likes of agricultural land here in the UK. For the price of a garage plot in London, you could buy a few 100 acres of marginal swamp land. If you look closer to home, Portugal or even Southern Ireland. Land can still be bought cheaply. I bought my land in the late 1980's for about 26p a square yard. For the price of a can of special brew, I bought enough land to lay down on, for the night with my arms stretched out. If I didn't buy the new girlfriend that last drink in the pub, I could buy enough land and take her here, make mad passionate love for the 10 minutes and keep the land afterwards. No brainier really. You could buy land cheaper than some budget carpets.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, I dont want that!

Where are the antiquities? I dont want `new` land, I want land thats been used for at least ten thousand years...That way I know its good land.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh, I dont want that!

Where are the antiquities? I dont want `new` land, I want land thats been used for at least ten thousand years...That way I know its good land.

No antiquities quite that old I'm afraid. Some archeological sites though in the form of Indian Mounds (if I remember correctly, 10,000 years is just about when humans came to North America) There are some older places, particularly antebellum plantations but the price of those will be considerably more (as well as the cost of upkeep)

th

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mississippi is a vast area. I don't think you can compare it with the likes of agricultural land here in the UK. For the price of a garage plot in London, you could buy a few 100 acres of marginal swamp land......

Thanks. The difference in area available compared to population was part of the point about why there are price differences. Very little swamp land in Mississippi though.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
43 acres is not a lot if you are working with horses. Horses are hard on land - they chew it up. You have to either have a lot of space or keep them stabled most of the time (which is what is usually done in the UK.

That's enough land for someone rich to play around with horses, or someone with spare cash to keep a few of their own horses and defray some of the costs by selling stable space.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
43 acres is not a lot if you are working with horses. Horses are hard on land - they chew it up. You have to either have a lot of space or keep them stabled most of the time (which is what is usually done in the UK.

That's enough land for someone rich to play around with horses, or someone with spare cash to keep a few of their own horses and defray some of the costs by selling stable space.

All very true. I suspect the original owner kept his or her own horses stabled there and provided the apartment for a wrangler. And I have a few friends who do exactly as you describe: stable other people's horses to defray their own expense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE